Feeling very sad and angry :-(

ladyt25

Visit site
How very sad :(
It does sound the vets weren't very helpful. However, i do feel the same as some other posters. Animals tend to know if there is something wrong hence why they may sometimes reject a newborn. Sometimes human intervention does work but, quite often it is shortlived. So sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking when you have tried so hard.

diamonddogs

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss xxx

Like others, I had a bad experience with a local vet - my precious mare was showing colic-but-not-colic symptoms at 7.00am. I got the "Come straight away and call the vet" call we all dread - and couldn't believe my ears when I got a recorded message telling me the office was closed and I was to phone back after 9.00am. No emergency number to call, not even the chance to leave a message.

My friend rang her vet, who didn't know me from Adam, and they came out within twenty minutes. Sadly my girl didn't make it, and passed away early the following morning. The vet called with her condolences. I even received a sympathy card from the practice a day or so later.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Very sorry for your loss. Perhaps a letter to your vet expressing your disappointment in their service. However it does souhd as if perha9s the foal was not viable.

kim1978

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words.
We have thought maybe the little one was rejected for a reason we'll never know, by her mum...
We just feel had she been tube fed, maybe it would have helped and then had she still passed away, we could say we did everything possible...instead we have so many 'what if's' it's depressing...and doesn't help the grieving procedure :-(
Mum is ok, alittle subdued and quiet, but that's to be expected.
We are going to complain to the vets and I vow to never use them again !! Once again, thanks for the kind words everyone xx

FionaM12

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words.
We have thought maybe the little one was rejected for a reason we'll never know, by her mum...
We just feel had she been tube fed, maybe it would have helped and then had she still passed away, we could say we did everything possible..

You did do everything possible, please don't blame yourselves. The vets let you down, either by not acting appropriately or just by not being compassionate enough. But that was not your fault.

It sounds like the poor little mite was not meant to be. :( So sad for you to witness, but you did everything you could. ((((hugs))))

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
That is sad. Just about any cattle farmer could have tubed the foal for you, the vet doesn't sound on the ball at all. If they didn't want to do it, they should have suggested that to you. Intensive care sounds like an excuse, if she never got enough milk she didn't have a chance. I'd also question giving her milk which would have traces of the sedative in it, last thing you want is a sick animal to be more dopey.

Last edited:

HBM1

Visit site
So tragic. I am so sorry. I would urge anyone in the same situation to contact experienced breeders..especially if their vet doesnt seem to care. Janet George has given some great advice re getting a mare to accept a foal...I would be very disappointed in your vets too if I were you (to say the least).

Snoozinsusan

Visit site
I am the owner of the mare and thank you all for your kind words. I am absolutely devastated. I have been planning to breed a mule for about 3 years now but have had various disasters during that time! My donkey has now been castrated so there will be no more attempts.

I felt that the vet who attended thought,as pearlsasinger suggested, that she was JUST a mule and not worth saving! I am not someone who would do anything to save an ill pony but I would have been prepared to pay for a night at the horsepital to give this foal a chance. I felt that the vets were not keen on admitting them as it would be an inconvenience to them.

There was a catalogue of problems yesterday, the awful winter that we have had, the mare leaving the foal, the foal had bite marks on her ear (maybe fox, rat?), the vet wasn't helpful, the local store didn't have foal milk but ordered it and would phone me when it arrived in about an hour - it was 2 hours, the friends who could have helped earlier were out of the county but did their best when they arrived, and I was in shock. It all added up. :(

picture.php

zippo

Visit site
While I haven't read all the replies,I must say that your foal needed tubing,not with milk or formula but colostrum[500 mls]within the first few hours.Did you have a supply on hand in case of emergencys?

Doris68

Visit site
Oh dear, I'm so so sorry for your loss - I don't know what else to say except RIP little one. Kind thoughts x

Spring Feather

Visit site
What were the IgG readings of the SNAP test the vet did on the foal when they first checked it? They should give you an idea of what was wrong. I'm very sorry. It's always incredibly sad to have a foal die at full term like this :(

FionaM12

Visit site
While I haven't read all the replies,I must say that your foal needed tubing,not with milk or formula but colostrum[500 mls]within the first few hours.Did you have a supply on hand in case of emergencys?

I honestly don't think it's fair to be suggesting what might or should have been to someone grieving. What's to gain by doing so? :(

Spring Feather

Visit site
There was a catalogue of problems yesterday, the awful winter that we have had, the mare leaving the foal, the foal had bite marks on her ear (maybe fox, rat?), the vet wasn't helpful, the local store didn't have foal milk but ordered it and would phone me when it arrived in about an hour - it was 2 hours, the friends who could have helped earlier were out of the county but did their best when they arrived, and I was in shock. It all added up. :(
Again I'm very sorry for your loss :( I don't like to ask but I can't help myself, what do you mean the foal had fox or rat bite marks on it?

Trinity Fox

Visit site
Oh this is so sad we had a filly not even two foal not our doing we did not know when we bought her,whole story is posted on here foal died mare could not get up nerves were crushed.

First vet we had said do not try to lift her it never works,we did after several days her being down two attempts and sleeping with her for two weeks,she is now rising four being broken,we have also lost horses but I will not have the vet out who did not support us,you need them to be there even if they can do nothing they should at least be there to make sure they cannot help.

You did all you could for your little one little one and is truly heartbreaking when this happens,you need to take care of yourselves for now and it is normal to be angry.
When you feel a little better you can sort a situation with your vets where you feel confident they are going to support as you need.

I am sending kindest thoughts to you at this sad time and bless you all.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
What a sad sad story. Got a little welled up. Run free little one. Sorry for your loss. Sorry I can't advise on vets... Though I would be putting a letter together.

Hugs xxxx

HBM1

Visit site
Fionam12 .. I think it is worth asking those things..if nothing else, if the vet did none of those things, the bill should not be psid..and quite frankly..they need reporting.

vieshot

Visit site
Fionam12 .. I think it is worth asking those things..if nothing else, if the vet did none of those things, the bill should not be psid..and quite frankly..they need reporting.

This.

Disgusting. I would be changing vets. RIP wee foaly face xx

indie999

Visit site

Common sense would agree a live baby is an emergency? Even more so if rejected. Its the chance as the OP says What IF. Unfortunately its now a bad experience and didnt survive, but please dont beat yourself up, you did try your best. Just now complain before they send you a bill for non care. Get it off your chest as its the last thing you can do and you will feel better to ensure they dont do this to someone else unsuspecting. Its their profession and they should be good at it.

Vanner

Visit site
Run free at Rainbow Bridge little one.

So sorry this happened, nature can be very cruel - but sometimes nature knows best in a weird way . HUGE (((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))). xx

I completely ditto this, although it must have been heartbreaking. Mum must have known something that you didn't ...

Keep your chin up, and take heart that you still have your mare and given time may want to try having a foal from her again. and, you will be older and wiser as will the mare.

Bojingles

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this; it must have been heartbreaking. I had a similar situation last year with my unexpected foal - I won't go into details but I posted about it in breeding at the time. In brief, I felt my vets were, at best, negligent, and had action been taken sooner there was a chance we could have saved the foal.

I approached the vets first, detailing where I thought their care had been lacking (and believe me there were many areas!) and received half-truths and excuses in response. TBH, if they'd just been a little human about it I might have left it there but they were just arrogant and deceitful.

I just wanted some accountability so lodged a complaint with the RCVS. They highlighted several areas for investigation but it's dragging on as my vets haven't provided them with the requested information. The RCVS are being very helpful and thorough - if you feel you were let down and don't get a satisfactory response from your vets, do speak to the RCVS. There's lots of info on their website.

One thing - they don't arbitrate in fees disputes so you'll have to deal with that separately. I ended up paying mine as they were threatening me with court and debt collectors and to be honest it was a drop in the ocean compared with what I had to pay Leahurst.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best. It's horrible to feel so let down by professionals you pay and trust to look after your animals. Take a step back, take some time to let the dust settle and see how you feel. Good luck.