Feet xrays - foot balance, long toes and low heels

emfen1305

Visit site
where in the country are you based? My farrier (master farrier) does remedial shoeing for a big equine hospital and loves a challenge. He has completely transformed my horses's feet and I would recommend him without hesitation.

In the North West :) The vet's use an excellent one but he charges £400 and unfortunately it is not an insurance jobby and I don't have that kind of money! My usual farrier is doing some remedial farriery on another horse round the corner with similar issues so he said he would be happy to take a look at the x-rays with my vet when I am ready to shoe but thank you for offering, very kind :)

amandaco2

Visit site
mine had this..she was BF all her life until this summer. fter 6months of shoes I noticed puffy fetlocks and she was not as forward. vet assessed..horse lame all around. xrays showed flat palmar angle.
remedial shoes fitted..initial improvement then lamer. bigger raised shoes put on. horse lamer. heels non existant at this point. vet wanted wedges on next.
I took the shoes off and her heels are growing again. will get her re xrayed in another few months.
exercise and diet are key for feet. don't feed most bagged horse feeds, they are full of fillers and c**p....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
amandaco2 did yours have PSD issues too? that is why some of the very keen barefooters are not totally against wedging this horse at the moment and I suspect the hind feet are a bit of a chicken/egg situation.

emfen1305

Visit site
mine had this..she was BF all her life until this summer. fter 6months of shoes I noticed puffy fetlocks and she was not as forward. vet assessed..horse lame all around. xrays showed flat palmar angle.
remedial shoes fitted..initial improvement then lamer. bigger raised shoes put on. horse lamer. heels non existant at this point. vet wanted wedges on next.
I took the shoes off and her heels are growing again. will get her re xrayed in another few months.
exercise and diet are key for feet. don't feed most bagged horse feeds, they are full of fillers and c**p....

He hasn't been shod behind since i got him 2.5 years ago, farrier was always keen to keep him barefoot as he has really solid feet but I have shoes on his front in summer as we do a lot hacking and he can be very footy as it is quite stony (this is before I knew about hoof boots!) We have been trying to address the hind issue without shoes by taking as much toe away as possible but it never improved, I probably should have had the xrays done much sooner in hindsight! He always stands camped under and not sure that's because of the feet or the feet have got like that because he stands camped under due to the PSD - like ester says, chicken and egg!

oldie48

Visit site
In the North West :) The vet's use an excellent one but he charges £400 and unfortunately it is not an insurance jobby and I don't have that kind of money! My usual farrier is doing some remedial farriery on another horse round the corner with similar issues so he said he would be happy to take a look at the x-rays with my vet when I am ready to shoe but thank you for offering, very kind :)

that's a shame, my farrier isn't cheap but not £400!!! good luck I hope you get it sorted BF is great if it is appropriate but it's not the best solution for every problem.