Fell ponies

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
None really. If you intend to breed, try to ensure pony is FIS clear.
There is nothing otherwise that Fell ponies are ailment specific, they are generally pretty tough ponies but like anything can pick up lameness etc.

People can say they are stubborn, or sharp, and all in between, but I find they generally are as good as the human who teaches them...... they learn very quickly, so teach a pony incorrectly and it will take you a zillion times longer to retrain the right mode.

Good luck in your pony shopping.

windand rain

Visit site
Friend had two the first tried to kill her the second had such a choppy stride she has ruined her back and will never ride again. Both of us like the look of them but not the action

FourWhiteSocks

Visit site
My first pony was a Fell. She lived to the age of 33. Always sound with beautiful feet. Very bold, versatile pony but like all natives they have strong, clever personalities. Wishing you best of luck, there is nothing quite like a hairy Fell cuddle xx

RHM

Visit site
I have a fell and I would always want one of them knocking about. Amazingly versatile pony and on the whole sharp but safe. Could hack mine down a duel carriage way on a good day.
Mine has EMS which is very common in all natives really. Has been reversed with weight loss just have to keep him leaner then he would like!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've had quite a few Fells in my time. They are tough in mind and body.
Mine have been pretty clever and fearless in general and with a good sense of self preservation riding tricky land. Some have been more forward going than others but all have been solid reliable ponies.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Yep, I trust mine completely over boggy and rough ground. He is forward, has a great active walk.we suffered a bit initially from him coming from an owner who’d got scared of him and who hadn’t been honest of the extent of it but we now have an understanding. he’s picked up Trec and archery really well. I don’t find mine choppy and I tried one who had the most amazing ground covering trot for a 14h but expect choppy ones are out there.

cumbriamax

Visit site
As TFF said the only thing I can think of is FIS which will only affect you if you want to breed. I think you would be OK if you had an FIS carrier as long as you put it to an FIS clear. I am not a breeder but have had a few fells and part breds. I have a two year old fell pony and another just sold. If you don't mind me asking do you know the pony's breeding. Quite a few of the Cumbrian fell studs aren't far from me.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I bought my first Fell just over a year ago.

I've backed and ridden him away myself and he was really easy. He's a fast learner and tries hard to please in the school.

Out hacking he is pretty forward going but has good brakes and feels perfectly safe.

He does test boundaries on a fairly regular basis and could become quite pushy with someone less firm about boundaries.

He is very affectionate and loves hanging out with humans (ask my husband when he's trying to mend a fence!).

And they are of course absolutely beautiful!