Fell pony owners out there

Rosiebelle

Visit site
Hi

Following meeting a herd of Fells many years ago and falling in love with the breed I always said I would love to buy a youngster and bring it on to ride. I am now in the position to do this and looking around at buying one. After speaking to several owners it seems the breed can be quite tricky and rather stubborn. Any Fell owners out there can you confirm this.

Thanks so much

Visit site
My Lownthwaite Fell was the most genuine, happy go lucky, go anywhere, do anything pony you could wish for! He was a beautiful ride! I never had a days bother with him in the 13 years I had him for. His breeder is currently selling a 13.1-13.2hh 4yo mare who is a blank canvass ;)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Generally they are very willing working ponies who are very trainable and extremely quick to pick things up.

'Tricky and stubborn' usually relate to how any training is done.

I've had quite a number of differently bred ones and only one was 'tricky' and that was one that came in for reschooling, having had incorrect training and handling.....

Laura2408

Visit site
I have a greenholme/lunesdale fell who is the most opinionated little madam I’ve ever dealt with. She’s very forward and can turn her hoof to pretty much anything if your willing to ride her through it but she’s not your typical ‘cob’ type personality, much sharper in every way. Now we have a bond she will do anything for me but she still keeps me on my toes and has days where she is a nightmare.

The vast majority of them seem to be quite quirky rides I think although you may be lucky and get a straightforward one!

Laura2408

Visit site
TFF I would describe mine as tricky as she is too intelligent for her own good and can easily get the upper hand on anyone who isn’t 110% confident around her. She is not a forgiving pony but once you get her on side she will put everything into her work to please you.

She’s never had anything but good handling but she was born knowing what she wants and how to get it...she’s the same in the field with the other horses too!

McFluff

Visit site
My friends Fell is lovely. He was quite sharp and forward as a youngster but genuine. He’s still full of life and personality as a 19 year old. Can be cheeky but then isn’t that a pony trait?!

smiggy

Visit site
I don’t think tricky and stubborn is a fair breed summary.
Sharp and forward with a sense of humour ?
Have had mine since a just backed four year old, she is a gem on the ground, brave out hacking and enjoys competing and schooling but certainly has her moments. Had to leave the warm up after five minutes last month as she took a dislike to competing in the dark and was a tad explosive but usually she is great, just likes you not to get complacent !
Def not stubborn , ever.

Nudibranch

Visit site
My Lunesdale Fell isn't tricky or stubborn at all. She's not a novice pony because she does occasionally make her own suggestions about things, but never argues. Physically powerful, and forward, yes but excellent brakes and a mouth like butter.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have a Lownthwaite-didnt get him as a youngster though. he's forward but not sharp (but sharp seems to be different for everyone!) biddable and smart. he's a native so highly food oriented and has opinions-but not stubborn.

I bought mine from someone who buys in youngsters for conservation grazing-she has different ages and breeding and would recommend her to anyone-happy to pass details on if interested.

dollyanna

Visit site
I have 2 Lownthwaites and they are chalk and cheese but would call neither of them stubborn or tricky. I think the idea of them being stubborn comes from a misunderstanding of the breed - they are smart, intelligent survivors so will not do things just because, but give them respect and trust and they are just amazing. Mine are both clicker-trained and work very differently but my little mare has been incredible, never putting a foot wrong in starting her riding career even when meeting a massive tractor on her 3rd ever ride. She loves to please but doesn't take any nonsense, and she does need to satisfy herself that things are safe by watching them for a while, though this is reducing dramatically as she matures and trusts my judgement more and more. My gelding isn't ridden yet but does some beautiful inhand work and agility - he is more anxious as a person but VERY keen to please and is just a bundle of fun. They are both very clear in communicating their needs, though this may be the way they have been brought up as well.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've had a few Fells and I wouldn't call them stubborn and tricky, I've always found them easy to deal with. However, they do look after number one and if they can get away with making life easier for themselves they will :D but I think most natives are like that.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've had a few Fells and I wouldn't call them stubborn and tricky, I've always found them easy to deal with. However, they do look after number one and if they can get away with making life easier for themselves they will :D but I think most natives are like that.

yes, agree-although when you have a good partnership with one they look after you as well-even if its because they know you control the food ;) . Like with all breed characteristics (dogs or horses) if you like the breed, you don't see them as foibles-you see them as strengths and work with them. If you don't, then they are a PITA.
You either like the native brain or you don't-small natives are bigger equines with shorter legs and more brains-don't confuse trainability with intelligence or you will be doomed lol.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I had a fantastic Fell pony. I got her at rising 3 barely halter-trained. She was born and raised on the fells and not brought down till 2 and she was the hardiest, most sure footed pony I have ever had. She was also straightforward to back - not one buck or spooky moment at all.

I evented her up to 80cm ODE for 2 seasons then sold her on to a teenager as I wanted to do more and she would not have been able to step up to 90s.

The teenager was a good rider and this was her 2nd pony but she really struggled. Found her too strong. So I guess it also depends on the handling, riding. I personally never found her strong at all. She was in a snaffle bit, no noseband as I lost it when bitting her and never found it again. Hacked really well. Just a gorgeous, level headed mare. But clearly she had a different side to her.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I shared a Fell pony for a number of years when I was a teen. He was tricky, very food aggressive and on a hack would try to turn to go home. Would nap for England (even when crossing a busy road he would decide to plant and not move again) would buck if you dared to tell him off. BUT he could do just abut everything and when there wasn't food around was the easiest pony on the ground (sometimes didn't want to be caught though!)

BlackRider

Visit site
I got a fell last year, after having had arabs, he's wonderful!

He's forward, sharp and very intelligent, he also loves his food.

I had some initial problems which where quickly sorted when I found out the certain feeds or haylage can make him loopy, but once that was resolved - fab :)

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Hi

Following meeting a herd of Fells many years ago and falling in love with the breed I always said I would love to buy a youngster and bring it on to ride. I am now in the position to do this and looking around at buying one. After speaking to several owners it seems the breed can be quite tricky and rather stubborn. Any Fell owners out there can you confirm this.

Thanks so much

hi don't know if you are still looking or how young but found this

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/lisa/Horses/537598

touchstone

Visit site
I think Nativelover has summed up the handling with *respectfully* My mare was by Heltondale Black Prince III and had a wonderful temperament, she would really look after her rider and take you anywhere. But if you ever tried to boss her then all hell would break loose! I bought mine as a rising five year old that had nothing done with her really, she was the easiest horse I ever started. I miss her dreadfully after losing her, but we had a great 18 years together.