female pygmy goat won't stop crying

paddi22

Visit site
I have a female pygmy goat that won't stop crying. I checked feed, hay, shelter and water and everything is fine. She doesn't look sick. The wether goat is fine, and not crying at all. The female has been crying all day and nothing stops her. My guess is that she is in season/heat. These are the first goats we ever had so I'm not 100% sure. If any goat owners here could help that would be great, otherwise I'l take her to vet tomorrow for checkup. would female pygmy goats wail their heads off if in heat?! She's driving us demented with the noise!

Pamfyson

Visit site
Female goats in season do cry a lot but not for long. Usually you only have that day to get them mated if you wish to. Is she tail wagging? They do that when they smell a male if they are receptive. The best way to check is to get a billy rag from the breeder and shove that under her nose. then you'll know for sure if she's in season. Hopefully by tomorrow she should be quiet if she is in season. This is the time of year for them to be in season for babies in May. Let us know if she's still shouting tomorrow.

paddi22

Visit site
thanks for the reply. she stopped the screaming this morning, so is wandering round oblivious to her sleep deprived owner!

Alexart

Visit site
My old golden guernsey used to do that, we had to sneak around the farm when she was in season otherwise as soon as she heard us she'd scream for an hour non stop, thing is she never really liked the billies but did have a thing for my old suffolk ram!!!:p