Fence problems

windand rain

Visit site
Livery is repeatedly going through the fences.
the fence in question is 5 strands of rope all new and tight is on permanent wooden posts 10ft apart
the fencer is new and mains operated it is chucking out 12500 volts and 7.9 joules
It has a new earth
She is not jumping but climbing through somehow damaging the pigtail insulators. She pops them like press studs. She is fat but has escaped laminitis due to being formally under weight and growing she is 4. To stay she has to learn not to touch the fences as under no circumstances can she stay if she lets mine out and makes them sick

Last edited:

Polos Mum

Visit site
They will never learn - I had one with a mains energiser on pig setting, two fences one about 1.5 meters offset from the other (too wide for a spread too narrow for a bounce) 3 or 4 strands on each extra height posts. He would limbo under (impressive for 17.2) or climb through or barge through. It really hurt because you could see him flinch when zapped. He never learned and I gave up trying to keep him in.
My land and my horse so I could accept his free range nature!

She needs to find somewhere who can offer more permanent fencing.

windand rain

Visit site
Fortunately the ring fence is post and rail lined by electric so perhaps stock fencing is the answer if she is willing to pay for it. Kitten is showing the fence in the picture she is good with the fences,feral pony.jpg
the bit in front is the fence in question the tape is now all new rope

windand rain

Visit site
I am sure but its not my land and not my horse so sadly the owner will either have to find it a new home or cough up for the fencing to keep her safe

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've never done it but a friend does it with fells that sound similar. Headcollar on and a light chain attached over the headcollar. When they climb through they get a hell of a belt via the headcollar and tend not to do it again! It absolutely works and in a last chance saloon situation I'd be giving it a go.

Griffin

Visit site
I would ask if the owner is willing to contribute towards more suitable fencing. I have always paid for any damage that my horses have done, (unless it is literally a case of just mailing something back on) or bought replacement parts.

meleeka

Visit site
I've never done it but a friend does it with fells that sound similar. Headcollar on and a light chain attached over the headcollar. When they climb through they get a hell of a belt via the headcollar and tend not to do it again! It absolutely works and in a last chance saloon situation I'd be giving it a go.

This. I think you’d only need to really get a good jolt once. It’s for the horses benefit to learn to respect fencing. The other thing I’ve seen is rope zig zagged along the fence so they can’t climb through.

Having accidentally touched a bit of tape with a similar current the other day, I just can’t imagine why a pony thinks it worth it! It really hurt!

chaps89

Visit site
The zig zag approach works in my experience.
Alternatively/additionally put extra posts in so they’re not as far apart (helps keeps the tension on the electric tape/rope and gives less space for wriggling through) though I’d want livery to pay for that of course.
Failing that, time for her to move on. She has my sympathies - that’s not exactly poor fencing you’ve got there but when you’ve got one who simply won’t stay put it’s a pita.

mavandkaz

Visit site
If you are willing to increase fencing (at liveries expense) then I would also opt for extra upright posts to keep the tension, and an extra line of 'zig zag' rope. Those strands look fairly easy to to clamber through as imagine there is a fair bit of give in the rope. The only way I can keep the shetlands contained is with the extra line of zig zag.
But don't think you would be unreasonable to ask her to move on.

Nasicus

Visit site
Could you try tying short bits of tape or rope along the fence at random heights and intervals, so they hang down and visually 'fill' out the space between the horizontal ropes? I've done that before to put a particularly pig-headed pony in place before.

pixie

Visit site
I had an escapee and ended up putting in a lot more posts (every 2-3ft) and an extra line of rope. I think that having the posts closer together is the most important thing as it reduces the amount of space that they can make between the lines of rope.