Fencing help/suggestions please!

lindsayH

Visit site
I've just started renting a new field and there is a run of fencing along a road that is virtually non existent. I think it's about 80-100m but haven't strided it yet. Am I right in thinking that the cheapest I would get post and rail for is about £10 per metre? (cheap timber, 2 rails?). If so, are there any cheaper alternatives? (Not wire) I don't want to spend too much as it's not my field! Whatever I use will be behind good electric fencing as however much I spend, I don't want the horses damaging it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Fii

Visit site
Whatever you use make sure it is the best quality, dont skimp for fencing especially at the side of a road!!!!!

Fii

Visit site
And there is no such thing as good electric fencing, unless you use posts and high tensile stock fence with mains electric!!

LynH

Visit site
I'm getting some quotes for post and rail over the next week so happy to pm you once I have unless you need a quicker answer.
As a cheap temp option I used stakes and electric tape on insulators and have been pretty pleased with it's effectiveness esp as I have an escape artist with normal electric fencing.

WelshD

Visit site
I paid £5 per metre for posts, stock fencing and a wire above. I know you don't want wire but this really is a cheap way if doing it. If you are using electric inside then that should keep them away from the fence

Goldenstar

Visit site
I paid £5 per metre for posts, stock fencing and a wire above. I know you don't want wire but this really is a cheap way if doing it. If you are using electric inside then that should keep them away from the fence

This is what I would do in your situation

indie999

Visit site

I have this with round posts, stock wire at the bottom etc I have never had a problem with it but even with post and rail I have run electric fence tape along to stop the blighters breaking and rubbing their butts on the posts.

Always use electric as mine always rub and will just knock it down. But I agree on the road side you need to make that priority. Post basher and round posts you can easily do this yourself with a couple of strong lads and lasses. Or get a farmer to make the holes along for you. Good luck.

indie999

Visit site
Look up post basher(ebay) and also round posts I think they are about £2+ each plus roll of stock proof wire is probably what will cost but shop around and also the clips to secure. I would round post the lot. If you want solid you could concrete each post in(stop it from rotting as they will rot). I just replace posts as they go. V easy cheap. Just the outlay will cost. Good luck.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I would use post and stock mesh with plain wire above which will be cheaper. But instead of the standard sheep mesh where the holes are big enough even at the bottom for a hoof to go through, look for pig mesh which has smaller narrower holes. It is slightly more ££ but cheaper than post and rail and won't be chewed as much. Or even proper horsemesh, google tornado horsemesh. Neither will give the temptation for the horse to use it as scratching post or ability for them to get a leg through, and will also be stock proof if you ever want the grass improved by putting a few sheep on it, exercise a dog etc.

lindsayH

Visit site
Huge thank you to you all for the suggestions, I'm going to go and do some googling. Stock wire/pig mesh sounds like a good idea, as long as the mesh is small. Had a horse nearly lose a foot in the standard stuff once! I suppose a strand of wire along the top will be fine if there is electric stopping them getting to it, I should stop being so paranoid.

Totally agree with you Fii, on both points. However, I don't have the £5k spare to put in top quality post and rail round the whole field which is what I would do if I could. Especially as I may only be there 6 months! Thankfully there is a lot of grass right now which keeps them occupied but I do need to get it sorted before that runs out and the hedge dies back for winter.

Thanks Lyn, if you could drop me a PM when you know, that would be great.

Cheers all!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Try Southill Sawmills for posts. Whereabouts are you in Beds? I may have some posts you can have depending on how many you need.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
With wooden posts, I would creosote the bottom end to just above ground level. Will help stop them rotting in the ground. If you decide to concrete any in make the concrete so that it slopes away from the post so the rain will run off away from the post.