Fencing help

Shavings

Visit site
Hell!
Chance is making my life hell

he keeps braking out of his field

we have our electric up and tested it , it works but he doesn’t care! He is naked so he can fell the zap!

im worry the livery yard will start to get fed up, and in all honesty my nerves can’t take this (I stuff with panic attacks)

he gets haylage in the field to try to make him want to stay

any one any advice on how to make him stay put!!
He doesn’t need a lusher field by any means trust me

Goldenstar

Visit site
You can try clipping his chest so he gets a better zap .
and putting two strands of tape or rope on the fence .
Work him more so he’s properly tired .
Does he live out?

Shavings

Visit site
There is 2 runs of tape
And he is fully clipped
Only goes out for 4/5 hours a day at moment due to his behaviour but was out all day and in at night.
I may have to buy a Shetland at this rate.
I don’t no what to do I’ve never had this before, and he has been seen doing it he isn’t stressy just goes straight though the electric with the odd quiver as the zap gets him, then shoves the rails of behind it

Shavings

Visit site
How olds your box? Or it’s it mains
Older boxes lose their strength
5 years old it’s a coral livestock pack

How many strands of tape and what sort of tape is it run off mains?
I wish it could run of the mains so it could be harder zap to him

Thank you all for the kind replies I’m really not sure what to do I thought I had done everything to keep him in.. he is a real great horse apart from this.. but this is really getting me down

meleeka

Visit site
How high are your posts? A friend can only use tall ones with two strands near the top and one in the middle as once her horse gets his neck over, the rest just follows.

If you don’t have a fence tester, do get one and ensure the zap is as strong as it can be. How deep is the earth spike? Have you made sure there’s no breaks in the tape and no plants or wood touching? Sometimes a zigzag effect works better between the strands too.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There is 2 runs of tape
And he is fully clipped
Only goes out for 4/5 hours a day at moment due to his behaviour but was out all day and in at night.
I may have to buy a Shetland at this rate.
I don’t no what to do I’ve never had this before, and he has been seen doing it he isn’t stressy just goes straight though the electric with the odd quiver as the zap gets him, then shoves the rails of behind it

Then I assume he’s wearing a rug take it off him at the very least wet him and the rug throughly when he goes out .
Blue was like this when he arrived he took out a very sturdy post and rails protected by electricity to get at the grass at the top if a quarry 😱
It was for sure why they kept him without turnout .
We solved it by upgrading the mains unit to a one for bulls that sorted him .
Blue now’s settled in work living out in a group living off grass he’s very happy and his vibe is very different to the horse we bought .

Nasicus

Visit site
Could try adding another fence line entirely, so you've got basically two perimeter fences? Or just go nuts and add more lines on the existing fence, I always used 3 or 4 for a perimeter fence to make it look substantial.

Or, one I used to use was I would tie a length of tape to the front chest of the rug, half hanging out and half inside the rug, laid against the skin. When they pressed their chest against the fence, the tape would make contact and transfer the zap directly to the skin.

Auslander

Visit site
What sort of energiser have you got? I have a couple who will go through fencing if they feel like it - so they get my biggest battery, and an Hotline Gemini 1/2j energiser which has the capacity to power up to 12km of single fence. It gives off a kick like a camel on a short run of fencing

Suncat

Visit site
Does he have company?
likewise... (forgive the obvious question) do you know why he's breaking through electric and then wooden fencing (if I'm reading right)?
I'm wondering from the shetland reference he's alone within the field..? Where does he go when he escapes? Just bear in mind that if you see him grazing after, that might not be his primary goal, so maybe consider the direction he's heading in until he met another obstacle.

If its a need for physically accessible company then you are dealing with a basic equine need, which might explain the extremes he's willing to go to?
If its different forage, that answer could help you too.

Sprig

Visit site
Can you buddy him up with another horse on the yard? He is clearly not happy on his own, I don't think zapping him harder is really the answer.

Shavings

Visit site
He doesn’t wear a rug , thank you for all saying take the rug off but there isn’t one, he wears a rain sheet on the worse days but he runs so hot he gets full clip and by end of December of pulling his rain sheet off

company he had a friend but he belted him badly and he has friends next door but that’s not where he is braking to

he is braking in to the lush summer field like a pig I have a pit square bales of hay out, even big piles of haylage and he still goes to the grass

I think I am doing to need a stronger box there isn’t an option for mains any one recommend a strong energiser box I can hook batteries up to, Ireally don’t want no what else to do now

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
With our one persistent escapologist , who seemed totally unfazed by the live electric fence running inside the permanent post and rail fence , and would just barge through the lot , we added two lines of plain wire to the post and rail fence and electrified that with a separate energiser . It produced a kick like the fence around the T Rex paddock in Jurassic Park ! Did the trick !
Nb - Just make sure you finish off the run of wire on the post BEFORE the gate post . Trust me - you don't want to inadvertently electrify the 5 bar metal gate ! No siree !!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
We use five strands on our fence, and recently purchased one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093WGKTGM along with a 9v/90Ah battery to power it. It packs enough of a wallop to keep our four in, and also stops the neighbouring cob from lumbering through to join them. He's taken down all of the other fencing in the paddocks beside us, so it definitely does the job!

eggs

Visit site
Get the best quality tape you can and make sure that nothing is touching it other than the fence posts. Get an extra long earthing stake and really drive it into the ground and keep on wetting the ground around it. Also get a battery tester and go all along the line checking the 'kick'. If he has continually been breaking through the fence it could well be that the internal wires have broken so it is not working properly.