Fencing sheep and horses

buddylove

Visit site
Hi,
I need to re-fence a large field, and I would like to split it into 4 paddocks with a central walkway from my hardstanding/field shelter area. We also have sheep, so the fencing has to work for both sheep and horses. I have one escape artist section a, so I am leaning towards mains electric. Will this be good enough to keep the sheep separate as well? What heights would the strands have to be and would you use tape or rope? At the moment I use tape but it is quite windy here and it is prone to flapping a little. Sheep netting doesn't work for escapee pony as he wriggles between the netting and the top strand of tape to escape, wrecking the fence in the process, which makes my OH quite cross!
The other two are not too bad, good with electric as long as it is on. The big mare is not very respectful of post and rail and tends to lean, and the hairy Shetland uses it for scratching. So any suggestions greatfully received 😊

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The farm next door to me have sheep and they have fenced off bits for them using electric rope and posts with 4 strands, as far as I am aware they have not had any escape so perhaps that would work for them and still be ok for the horses.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
4 rail p&r fencing with offset electric to stop the horses rubbing/leaning on it, will work best. When sheep are in full wool, they take no notice at all of electric fencing.