Ferry Journey

Sagamoon

Visit site
I'm thinking for travelling a horse to England from Ireland. There are 2 ferry options. One is 2.5hrs and then a long drive and the other in 8 hours. My worry is what would happen if a horse took colic maybe a couple of hours into the 8 hour journey, what could you do? Is it worth the risk as the long ferry journey will be easier on the horse than having to continually balance on the road journey.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm thinking for travelling a horse to England from Ireland. There are 2 ferry options. One is 2.5hrs and then a long drive and the other in 8 hours. My worry is what would happen if a horse took colic maybe a couple of hours into the 8 hour journey, what could you do? Is it worth the risk as the long ferry journey will be easier on the horse than having to continually balance on the road journey.
I've travelled horses back and forth between Ireland and Britain 100's of times and never had a horse colic. If there is a problem they will let you down to the deck to check on them, and the crew will keep an eye on horses during sailings. I have taken horses on the Bilbao - Cork route (24hrs +) too, also with no problem.

Sagamoon

Visit site
I've travelled horses back and forth between Ireland and Britain 100's of times and never had a horse colic. If there is a problem they will let you down to the deck to check on them, and the crew will keep an eye on horses during sailings. I have taken horses on the Bilbao - Cork route (24hrs +) too, also with no problem.
Thank you for that. Its good to hear from someone who has experienced it first hand.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine came from Ireland to England. I left it to one of the big transporters, even though I could have done it myself. I thought they would be better.

Mine was a shared load in a huge wagon to actually cross the water, then a small box with just him on it from Liverpool.

Kat_

Visit site
I moved from NI to England with my 19yo this Feb and took her in my trailer on the 8 hr boat overnight. I was travelling her by myself and Stena were great and very accommodating about me wanting to check on her - she was not phased at all even when it was a bit rocky around the IoM. Probably a bit miffed to be woken up 3 times in the night, whilst I didn't sleep a wink! She's funny about drinking when travelling so lots of soupy mash was offered and she arrived in great form.

spacefaer

Visit site
Have you checked out the new Brexit transport regulations? The paperwork for lorries is much more demanding than it used to be.
I've driven my trailer over to collect a horse from Westmeath post Brexit. It would have been cheaper to use a transporter - I just needed him quicker than they could ship him
Either trip length is fine - you'll get a cabin if you travel freight coming over on the longer route.
The only stressful bit is if you have a small lorry or trailer, it's really noisy and there lots of fumes when the artics fire up to disembark. Some horses find it unpleasant - they're better in the bigger lorries where they have more company and they're higher up, above the fumes.

If you do decide to drive over yourself, I thoroughly recommend using an agent to book your space on the ferry. They can get significantly better rates.

ponynutz

Visit site
Never been with a horse but have been both ways thousands of times and with dogs - assuming ur talking stranraer/hollyhead versus liverpool?

For human travel the stranraer one is much less stressful actually being on the boat and much better for animals who have to sit in the hold for the entire time. If you go 8 hours it is really horrible not getting in a cabin for that amount of time. We normally sleep through if we have to go Liverpool way.

There's also the added worry that to keep the horses not panicking I'd want to give them enough food and water - you're not allowed down in the hold during the boat journey. (Don't know if this is just the rule for dogs).

I'd take the longer drive than the longer boat journey personally.

GreyDot

Visit site
I brought my horse over from the Netherlands on North Sea Ferries (16 hours). He was three at the time, I was allowed to go down and check on him whenever I wanted, as long as a crew member came with me. I did have a sedative to hand just incase, but he travelled like a star. I made sure he was regularly offered water, gave him a sloppy mash and enough hay. Made sure once we were at the new yard (which was luckily very close to the port) that he had a long leg stretch and graze to get his head down and the sinuses clearing after the long travel. He showed no ill effects.

Sagamoon

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. Some very useful information and helpful advice. Good to hear positive stories of long boat journeys.