Fertilised grass and a barefoot horse?

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Should I be concerned that my new yard owner has just fertilsed the fields? This is a new yard to me - I never had to worry about my old yard as they didn't I don't think.

My horse is barefoot and coping brilliabtly although needs more road work. :rollseyes:

So would you be concerned? Does anyone have a barefoot horse on fields which have been fertilsed?

samlf

Visit site
Last year my mare was on fertilised fields, and she had a very stretched white line despite being on a track and the best diet/minerals possible.
She wasnt footy however.

We are now on non-fertilised fields, the change is amazing, her white line is barely stretched, feet look so much better, no lgl.

As I say, my horse never went sore, but I think thats because she is very stoic and never wore shoes before, so no rehab/pre-existing issues.

It's not ideal, but if thats what you got then you have to work with it.

tazzy69

Visit site
My 2 are barefoot and on fertilised grass. Already, cob is slightly footie, even though there isn't a massive amount of growth in his field - still too much for him! So its stabled during the day and muzzle at night. Pony had trouble last year, even though we restricted grazing hugely. Blew up like a balloon and ended up with lgl. Moving yards some point soon to one where the paddocks aren't fertilised and are a lot poorer

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Salt. Lots of salt to counteract the phosphorous and potassium (assuming an NPK fertiliser here).

Jools2345

Visit site
i have this problem, they went on the fertilised fields monday, she has been muzzled since then, is out during day and in at night, will be soaking hay from today-not gonna wait for it to be a problem

amandap

Visit site
This is a question I struggle to get my head round. Many say don't fertilize and see responses described but apparently if grass is fertilized appropriately grass should grow better/faster and therefore store less sugars as it is using them for growth. I do wonder whether the key might be soil testing and using a fertilizer that is indicated by the test results rather than always slapping on NPK.
Obviously I'm talking about cow pastures sown with rye etc. not meadows. I think the increase salt suggestion in Spring is a good one to try.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh! < This is on your behalf. Years ago I moved briefly onto a yard where they told me AFTER moving on that the fields were fertilised every single year. Even though I restricted grazing, both ponies suffered. One was colicky and Henry had laminitis.

amandap

Visit site
I'd love grass from fields where horses are having problems to be tested regularly and see if there is a link. Mine aren't fertilized and my grass is mainly Yorkshire Fog but it is lethal... go figure. :confused:

ps. Position of the field appears to be a factor with higher(above sea level) fields being better than lowland fields. I'm in a lowland bog.

Last edited:

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Ours were fertilised ready for summer grazing :( They really didn't need to be... grazing was already too good.

Hello grazing muzzles, and goodbye out 24/7.

foxy1

Visit site
Salt. Lots of salt to counteract the phosphorous and potassium (assuming an NPK fertiliser here).

This is how I managed my sensitive barefoot horse last year when he was moved on to a fertilised field. I am currently upping his salt intake in preperation for the move to new field at the weekend.

tallyho!

Visit site
With regards the salt, are you feeding just bog standard table salt? How much should I give for 16.2 TB? Thanks

Yup... bog standard... (well, I'm a bit posh so I like to add salt crystals, from Waitrose, to her majesty's herbs aswell :D)

But anyway, yes, any old table salt. A tablespoon should be enough but do add gradually... sudden salty feeds may not go down well the first time!

Add an apple :)

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Sorry just another question about the salt - a tablespoon a day should be enough? Or is it a tablespoon in each feed (ie.both am and pm?) :) thanks

tallyho!

Visit site
Sorry just another question about the salt - a tablespoon a day should be enough? Or is it a tablespoon in each feed (ie.both am and pm?) :) thanks

In each feed.. but as I said earlier, add in gradually.

No need to continue forever though... once spring is over just buy a salt block from your feed merchants (Countrywide 2 5kg blocks for £10 at the minute) and put in field. Hang from tree/fence whatever.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Fertilised fields are better for barefoot fields than non fertilised fields, it was explained to me like this....

Stressed grass stores more sugar, non fertilised grass is stressed as it doesn't have all the nutrients it needs. As is shorter grass, apparently the optimum length is 2-3 inches.

tallyho!

Visit site
Fertilised fields are better for barefoot fields than non fertilised fields, it was explained to me like this....

Stressed grass stores more sugar, non fertilised grass is stressed as it doesn't have all the nutrients it needs. As is shorter grass, apparently the optimum length is 2-3 inches.

Depends on the field, the grass and the fertiliser. You can't generalise as you don't know what sort of forage people have.