Fertility in stallions and age

Dry Rot

Visit site
I've noticed a tendency for horses to be considered "old" at a much younger age these days. So what about the age of a working stallion? The usual reference books are no help. I have bred pedigree livestock (sheep, dogs, horses) for a few decades and age in a sire is always to good thing. Nature regulates the females but males are generally fertile longer so are better and more thoroughly tested against life's hazards. Let's say we have a young colt that's just been licensed as a stallion. It could drop dead or contract some disease next year which does not portend well for his progeny. But an old stallion has at least proved that he can live a long life and, we hope, a healthy one for all that time so it can be hoped he will leave stock that will be just as healthy and long lived.

So what is old age in a stallion? And what would you consider, 'past it'? I just read of a working Exmoor stallon running with a hill herd who is still leaving foals in his late 30's, but is that exceptional -- or perhaps the owner is telling porkies?

ihatework

Visit site
Well I suppose it’s much like any other horse - there will be variations based on breed and upbringing. Generally the smaller native types live well into their late 20’s, early 30’s whereas the Sportshorses have, in general, a shorter life expectancy.

Fertility wise its not as age limiting as mares. For sports stallions quite often it’s the act of covering/collection that becomes too much - quite a bit of strain on them to get on/off dummies/mares.

For sports stallions I think if you get them to mid 20’s you are doing very well.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I was only today wondering where you’d got to DR!

Well, thanks for the thought! I am never unwell (livestock doesn't allow that luxury) but I have recently had a couple of days in hospital. Home again now and back to the usual routine. 28 year old mare (Glentrowan Belina) couldn't get up this morning and gave me a good scare. I had to get the tractor out and put a rope on her. The damned old hypochondriac then had the audacity to go bucking and galloping around the field taking the rest of them with her! But I still gave her a couple of carrots in return for a photo.

Attachments

• P1010920.jpg
    P1010920.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 9

tristar

Visit site
i was wondering about this, as i lost my best mare, and have not replaced her, and my stallion will be19 this year, so was thinking about age and mounting risks as he is a ridden horse, i`m just off to ride ride him actually,

i suppose where there a will theres a way, but my horse is very lively anyway so i tihink that could make difference, he`s always on the move, crumpet hunting and next door donkey hunting, and gazing over the horizen , just totally switched on and fit, but how that relates to fertility i have no idea, but would love to know more

tda

Visit site
I took on loan a Dales pony stallion last year, he will be 16 this year, I have three foals due this year, I know it's not very old but glad he's still functioning ?

luckyoldme

Visit site
Years ago i worked on a stud where royal palace was standing ..this would be 82 and pal was the derby winner in 67..he was still successfully covering mares up until at least 84 making him 20..have to say though he was loosing intrest!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Years ago i worked on a stud where royal palace was standing ..this would be 82 and pal was the derby winner in 67..he was still successfully covering mares up until at least 84 making him 20..have to say though he was loosing intrest!
Ooh, I had a grandson of Royal Palace back in 98. Lovely stamp and v sweet natured. An absolute sweetie to hack, a complete arse if beside or behind anything. Hence he failed at racing, failed at polo pony training and ended up in a job lot with me.
Found him a great home for dressage and showing. He could never work in except at home, but went in cold and did a good job and was a very safe hack on his own or in front.

Anyways, DryRot, the oldest lad I had covering was at 26 and lived out with his beloved 24yr old mare. I had stopped taking mares to him the year before and sadly lost him at rising 27 due to freak accident in field. He was registered native, his wife had a cracking colt that summer, just like dad.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Ooh, I had a grandson of Royal Palace back in 98. Lovely stamp and v sweet natured. An absolute sweetie to hack, a complete arse if beside or behind anything. Hence he failed at racing, failed at polo pony training and ended up in a job lot with me.
Found him a great home for dressage and showing. He could never work in except at home, but went in cold and did a good job and was a very safe hack on his own or in front.

Anyways, DryRot, the oldest lad I had covering was at 26 and lived out with his beloved 24yr old mare. I had stopped taking mares to him the year before and sadly lost him at rising 27 due to freak accident in field. He was registered native, his wife had a cracking colt that summer, just like dad.
Small world!!
He was at chesters stud . Ive been able to read more about him with the wonders of the internet and watch him win the derby.
I think most of his offspring failed at racing..and i read on the internet he was back at newmarket and pts at the age of 27.

molar roller

Visit site
it depends on the stallion, if it is a TB, I'd check the past year stud report and we can see some numbers ;

- number of covered mares
- pregnancy %
- not so related but even how many dead foals

then I'd check the covered broodmares. Did he mated with young and healty mares or mated with oldies who has pregnancy problems?
Some of stallions have problems about fertility after 21-22 but I know sires cover mares till 25-26 . Famous Tb stallion ''tejano'' has 22 generations.
here is a misconception about old sires; Most TB breeders send their ''A Class'' healty broodmares to young and ''rising star'' type popular stallions. So, an old sire generally mates with some broodmares who have pregnancy problems, abort etc...then people see bad stud stats about old sires :)