FFS, horse

Caol Ila

Visit site
Reprobate slightly redeemed himself today. He was duly in his stable when I showed up, which means he allowed yard staff to catch him.

We had a friend visiting, and Foinavon was quite wary at first. My friend is a bloke, and the pony was more suspicious of him than he is of women he's never met. A few treats, however, made Foinavon realize that Mark is his new pal. Doesn't take much with a Highland. We went on a hack, and things Foinavon did not spook at include the park's Holloween decorations, like skeletons and witches hanging from rocks and trees, and cones and signs blocking off the road for construction purposes, where there had been no signs and cones before. He had OH as 'lead horse' for this stuff, but I was still very proud of him.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Well, the work I have been doing with him over the past week has helped. Well, it's helped me. He would not catch for the staff this morning. But when I went into the field, he strolled up to me, took his bribe, then put his head in the headcollar.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Ha. I remember doing similar with half a bale of shavings once. Never again!

Glad he’s mostly behaving for you - can yard try the likit approach?

No, they won't use treats of any sort. They say it's too dangerous because there are too many pushy horses in the field, and they get everyone who needs to be brought in all at once.

chaps89

Visit site
No, they won't use treats of any sort. They say it's too dangerous because there are too many pushy horses in the field, and they get everyone who needs to be brought in all at once.

Ah I can see the sense in that.
Could they try it if he won’t be caught once all others are in though?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Ah I can see the sense in that.
Could they try it if he won’t be caught once all others are in though?

They say they don't have time. But my friend, who has two horses on DIY so she's always there in the morning, will try to get him next time it happens. Right now, there are horses on night turn-out and horses on day turn-out. He's one of the night turn-out horses. Apparently when he's all by himself, during the changeover, he stands by the gate. Hoping my friend can fetch him then.

I was going to change him from full livery to DIY after I weaned my foal, but now I'm thinking of doing it earlier.