Fibre and oil diet - do I need a balancer/vitamin supplement?

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I wonder if I can pick the collective HHO brain? I'm thinking of knocking off the conditioning cubes I feed my mare (she is quite a poor doer in winter) and just stay with a fibre and oil based diet. She's currently on Alfa-Oil, Conditioning cubes (which are being reduced daily), speedi-beet and micronised linseed (as well as a calmer). I've been running down the conditioning cubes and having just completed the online nutrition course from Edinburgh University, am of the mind that fibre and oil is the way to go. Her work level (if I'm totally truthful) is light, she is ridden around 5 times a week with a mix of hacking, schooling and jumping, with the odd competition every 3 weeks or so. She's looking really good at the moment with a really shiny coat and has enough energy. She has turnout (which isn't marvellous) and when in is fed haylage or occasionally hay.

My question is when I remove the cubes altogether, do I need to provide a supplement and would a broad general vitamin/mineral supplement be fine or should it be a balancer? I know there is a fair amount of confusion surrounding them so I was just after some thoughts!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I feed much the same as you Alpha oil, unmolassed sugar beet and micronised linseed, I just buy a pot of the Dengie vitamin and mineral you add to the feed, I either use the pink or red one cant remember what they are called but they seem to do the job ok, have a look on the Dengie site they are on there:)

melissa1971

Visit site
I feed the same one gets alfa a oil speedi beet micronised linseed the others get hi fi instead of alfa a I don't add any thing else but they all have access to rockies 5 star lick and all look great