Fibre cement board for stable roof?

LBird

Visit site
Need help and shared experiences please! I am planning the build of a new, small, wooden stable block and have decided that fibre cement is the way to go for the roof. One stable supplier / builder I have approached says that they refuse to use fibre cement as it splits and cracks. Is this really true?

In case it is relevant, the building is L-shaped, 36ft long x 41ft long x 12ft deep.
TIA for sharing your experiences.

horseaddict

Visit site
Need help and shared experiences please! I am planning the build of a new, small, wooden stable block and have decided that fibre cement is the way to go for the roof. One stable supplier / builder I have approached says that they refuse to use fibre cement as it splits and cracks. Is this really true?

In case it is relevant, the building is L-shaped, 36ft long x 41ft long x 12ft deep.
TIA for sharing your experiences.

My stables and husbands barn have this. It was built using reclaimed materials and so mine are on their second roof. Yes a few were cracked, but with careful positioning it has been fine (with the odd leak to resolve). Our budget was tiny so in was a question of cheapest long lasting option. If you are acquiring them new I would imagine yours would be a good roof .

LBird

Visit site
Thank you both for your replies. Another builder has found no issues with fibre cement and will provide it at the same cost as the 'original' builder offers onduline lined with OSB/ply, so we'll be using them. :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Do you mean like the 'big 6' corrugated roof sheets?
If so both my 1987 and 1996 blocks of stables have them on.
The only thing to have cracked at all has been the corrugated clear sheets in 2 boxes - one done by a bonkers TB that stuck his head into it (no lasting effects for him) and the other by a branch landing on it.
Neither set of rooves are asbestos, but certified as concrete fibre corrugated sheets.

I do have some small cracks in the same stuff on one elderley (1977 vintage) field shelter, but the roof was replaced in 85 and has had numerous branches land on it since....

PaddyMonty

Visit site
They are generally fine IF fitted properly. IIRC they need to be fitted with a rubber grommet type fixing that allows for expansion and contraction otherwise they would crack.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have fibre cement on the barn and it leaks.

My neighbour has suggested I might have touched it when stacking round bales. As if! :( But it is fragile and for that reason, I don't like it. But it is probably less prone to condensation than unlined box profile, so lay the (box profile) sheet on ply with a damp proof membrane. Fibre cement will also attract moss in time.

I wouldn't touch Onduline with a barge pole. It is not more than bitumen impregnated card board.

Onduline

New User
Visit site
Hello Dry Rot,

We are deeply sorry that you encountered a negative customer experience with one of our Onduline products.
We only produce high-quality products that last for a long time. As a matter of fact, we provide a 15-year guarantee on our products with a material that has been produced and sold for 70 years in over 120 countries.
Furthermore, the European Standard EN 534:2006 highlights Onduline’s aim of delivering high-quality products. If you want to read more on that particular standard, please follow this link: Corrugated bitumen sheets - Product specification and test methods.
Finally, feel free to contact us at [I]info@onduline.com[/I] if you want us to elaborate on this specific matter.

Best regards,

The Onduline Team