Fibre cubes

Goldenstar

Visit site
What do you all recommend .
I need some form of cube that's tastes good to feed a horse in the wagon before work the ideal thing would have oil in it as well .

Shay

Visit site
Simple systems say their products can be fed immediately before work. A colleague on yard uses them and certainly the horse hasn't had any issues. I won't feed within 30 minutes of work and if we have more than 30 minutes they can have elements of normal feed. But it might be worth giving simple systems a call?

be positive

Visit site
I used to take some alfalfa pellets with me for giving between phases at an event, he would eat a few more easily than others I tried, I soaked them very slightly at home, just enough to soften but not turn into mush, before leaving so some oil could be added then, if alfalfa is out I can't help as he was a fussy *** and the few others I tried giving him were too boring to bother with when he could pick at haylage instead.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Simple systems say their products can be fed immediately before work. A colleague on yard uses them and certainly the horse hasn't had any issues. I won't feed within 30 minutes of work and if we have more than 30 minutes they can have elements of normal feed. But it might be worth giving simple systems a call?

It's for feeding within twenty minutes of working .

indie1282

Visit site
What do you want them to do?

Is it for energy or something to prevent ulcers? I would probably use grass nuts but I have used Spillers Response Slow release cubes before which did help with one of my horses when he went a bit flat. They contain oil and are about 12% starch and 4.5% sugar so not too bad.

Micropony

Visit site
You could look at simple systems top nosh, which is lucerne and linseed. Can be fed dry, if that makes it more convenient on the lorry. This and lucerne chaff is what goes in my horse's feed bucket and I ride immediately before and after feeding with no issues. More pellet sized than cube sized though, if that matters.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's just for ulcer care .
He won't eat anything stalky that why I was thinking cubes .
I will need to con him into thinking they are tasty treats .

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I used the bailes fibre plus nuggets, my horse loves them so much I use them as treats rather than feed! and they are big enough for him to think they are treats!

_Annie_

Visit site
Another vote for dengie's grass nuts, they definitely convince my fusspot he's having treats!

Or maybe copra? Would that work?

Fiona

Visit site
My guys love fast fibre and spiller high fibre cubes, the spillers could be fed dry if required but soak the ff. It smells lovely and seems v palatable.

Fiona

tankgirl1

Visit site
I give my pony a handful of el cheapo high fibre pony nuts before and after riding, and keep a few in my pocket en route in case she needs tempting/rewarding for going past something super scary...

Kafairia

Visit site
I won't feed within 30 minutes of work and if we have more than 30 minutes they can have elements of normal feed.
Not questioning your horse care, but why might this be? I'm curious, that's all.

I try to pump my horse full of hay and he gets a scoop of Alfalfa 15mins before our ride as I worry about acid slosh / ulcers and was advised by a nutritionist.

Just wondering if my logic is indeed logical, haha!

OP: TopSpec do a cube called UlsaKind which also helps prevent ulcers. They are fibrous and I do really like their feeds.

WelshD

Visit site
I work at a feed store and we do sell lots of Ulsakind cubes, they are very well thought of by the people that use them

Saracens Super Fibre cubes have a coating of soya oil but not sure if it would be enough

Another option though not a cube is Baileys Ease and Excel, I give this to my show pony before work with good results

Hipo

Visit site
Also use fibre plus nuggets as treats and in treat balls, and chucked a few in a bucket for loading pony who's not had much practice. A lot less messy than chaff flying all over.

Rosie'smum

Visit site
I use to use Bailey's fibre nuggets but now use thunderbrooks hay cobs. Very similar it no molasses like the Bailey's ones.

First Flame

Visit site
I use them - they're pony crack to my mare. Actually they do smell lovely - I often had a good sniff when I'm making up her feed :D

This!! Another vote for Baileys Fibre Plus nuggets, my mare goes crazy for them. I also use them as treats, much cheaper than the tub of Baileys "treats" ;-).

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I use them - they're pony crack to my mare. Actually they do smell lovely - I often had a good sniff when I'm making up her feed :D

Me too. I had some in pockets a couple of times last week and Sam got so obsessed, I had to stop doing it. Every time he saw my pink jacket he went straight for my left pocket haha

They are also good when you go out for the first time and your horse breaks free and goes for a run around the carpark. One shake of the treat bucket and he comes back :)