Field Craft tips

GTRJazz

Visit site
How to get your horse in and stay safe in the field tips

Will depend on how many horses are in the field how much grass and condition of gateways but here are mine

Spend time in the field with your horse
We had fifteen horses in our field which was vast around 12 acres but I still used to spend time in it just walking around given them a pat but never a treat would often find a shoe or put a strap back on a rug that had come undone.

Respect the ranking system, if your horse is low ranking do not tell the other horses off for chasing it and pet the leader. We now have only three horses in our field I always approach the lead horse first then if I go to bring one of the others in he herds them towards me to catch quite funny to watch him tapping them on the rear with his noise.

For small groups like ours take each horse away from the group for a day or so to stop separation Anxiety mine quite often go their separate ways for long weekends which helps a lot.

Achinghips

Visit site
It's so much easier when you have them home. I just open the field gate permanently and they bring themselves in, waiting outside the feed room door for me to bring supper out lol

Merlod

Visit site
Respect the ranking system, if your horse is low ranking do not tell the other horses off for chasing it and pet the leader.

Sorry but what? I can catch any member in my herd of 8 and so help me god if any horse thinks they can chase or "come at" a horse whilst I am leading it and that goes for gateway barging too.

Not to mention that as all the horses are on different work schedules so i've never had to whisk any for a "weekend away" to prevent separation anxiety lmao.

Last edited:

GTRJazz

Visit site
Sorry but what? I can catch any member in my herd of 8 and so help me god if any horse thinks they can chase or "come at" a horse whilst I am leading it and that goes for gateway barging too.

Not to mention that as all the horses are on different work schedules so i've never had to whisk any for a "weekend away" to prevent separation anxiety lmao.

Yes once you lead a horse the others have to respect that only walking around on your own I am talking about getting 14 other horses to clear off while you get yours in is an art I used to hate getting stuck in the mud while they challenged each other around me.
I used to get my horse to go flat against the hedge and then open the gate just wide enough to let him slide out.

GTRJazz

Visit site
It's so much easier when you have them home. I just open the field gate permanently and they bring themselves in, waiting outside the feed room door for me to bring supper out lol

My friend did this he said his only walked into the stables on very hot days never during wind or rain

LaurenBay

Visit site
I have no time to go and pet the lead Horse. If I catch my Horse and the lead Horse comes too close and doesn't move away from me he will get a wallop with the lead rope, not a pet on the head.

Auslander

Visit site
Personally, I go into the field, collect the horse I want, and leave the field. They have their rankings - of course they do, but I rank higher than any of them, and they respect my insistence that they don't get in the way or cause any trouble while I'm in the field. They cause merry hell when left to their own devices, but they are all civilised when I'm around.

HeroMaggie

Visit site
Personally, I go into the field, collect the horse I want, and leave the field. They have their rankings - of course they do, but I rank higher than any of them, and they respect my insistence that they don't get in the way or cause any trouble while I'm in the field. They cause merry hell when left to their own devices, but they are all civilised when I'm around.

Yep ... This.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site

This. I fetch my horse in from a herd of 12 others. If I have to swing my leadrope to keep myself and my horse safe from others I will, but they never cause trouble and I never have a problem taking my horse away from her herd.