Field kept horse - how much hay if any should he have?

AmyJoy99

Visit site
HI - our horse is now on 24/7 grass turnout. I have been putting out hay in the field ( just on the floor as electric fencing means I can't put hay net up) .. he seems happy enough but not eating a lot of the hay at the moment - I am presuming that he is quite happy munching on the grass although its not that long.. he must be getting food as I daily pick up about 10-12 droppings.
He wasn't that fussed about his hay net this morning when I do his morning groom and check.

My concern is does he get enough? I give him a bit of calm and condition once a day at moment - but he is not ridden long at the moment as we need to sort his saddle out this week.
Or am I worrying unnecessarily !
Thanks.

PorkChop

Visit site
Normal to worry about them!

If he is of a good weight, happy and bright then he probably doesn't need the extra hay - fields can look bare but the horses hold their weight fine. Also the grass will really start coming through so better if he doesn't carry any extra weight :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
if he's not interested in the hay and breakfast, I would say that it sounds like he's getting enough!

my horse is still on winter grazing, which looks very sparse, however when I mucked out this morning, his poos were very green, so there is obviously something out in the field!! he also only ate one a quarter hay nets last night, were as he normally clears 2, so he's obviously finding something to eat!!

Whizza

Visit site
My mare is out 24/7 on very restricted grazing as she's had an upset tummy from too much grass. I give her a big pile of hay in her field shelter at night along with her feed. I'm getting at least 10 decent sized droppings a day. Her part of the field looks bare... And I almost feel bad, but she hasn't dropped any weight and seems quite happy so she must be getting enough.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would say if his leaving the hay cut it back as long as his looking okay, I put a hay net out for each of mine in the morning if some is still left at lunch time they don't get any for lunch, I just play it day by day and see what they are eating.

Abacus

Visit site
My ponies are on a relatively small field that looks quite bare. I have a small part by the gate sectioned off - after just a week I can really see the difference between than and the un-grazed part, meaning there is plenty coming through but they are nibbling as fast as it can grow. Agree with others - I am trying to keep them slim as the grass will speed up growing soon.