Field Management

TwixMum

Visit site
so i now have my own land have been there since november. i have 3.5 acres which is looking a bit trashed at the moment. original plan was to have them grazing the lot over winter then to split up and rest over summer.

we have grass but land is very poached. i have 2.5 horses (16.2hh , 15hh and wee 1 month foal). i'm looking at investing in a roller/harrows so any ideas on where to look for one would be great. my original plan was split field into 4 and rotate. mare and foal are currently in split from my other mare but we will be introducing them soon. ideally would like them out 24/7 but they have been coming in at night and foal is only out when its nice.

1. when should I harrow/roll? how long do i need to keep them off
2. how long do rest fields? leave for 3 months or graze them for a month then rest a month etc?

i know grass is coming soon but feel like my field wont recover. i poo pick daily

Green Bean

Visit site
I would suggest hiring a local farmer to Harrow and roll yourself. It will need to be done now, before the fields dry completely. Not sure that 3.5 acres is going to be enough to support your horses over winter and summer. Ideally you need to separate them to rest for 2 seasons.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you have fuel, then use your car to at least roll gateways if dry enough, I've just done that this morning, very satisfying. Obs check it's not too boggy!
My farmer friend isn't able to come out at present, so I've made do.

Ref how long, leave for about a min of 3 weeks if not 6 after harrowing to let things settle and to avoid disturbed earth related issues.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I have 2 horses on 3 acres, we bought a Harrow at a local acrigulrural sale for £60 just a small 4ft chain Harrow which tows behind car, we then managed to get a roller from local pet shop owner who had renovated it and paid £70 whenever field needs doing we roll and Harrow as soon as we have a dry spell, even through the winter if not too muddy. we also do this with the horses still in field as they are not bothered at all and often follow other half around behind him which is quite comical. I strip graze most of the time and it is split in two one for winter and one slightly smaller and rougher for summer, we are lucky that we have good cliff soil which doesn’t poach too much, my horses are out 24/ 7 too.
I can rest the winter side although the summer as I feed small amount hay each day with strip of grass horses are fine

Attachments

• 68324ED3-95A6-46B1-A6C8-0138FBEAFC99.jpeg
    68324ED3-95A6-46B1-A6C8-0138FBEAFC99.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 10

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
have a look at the land management for horses facebook page. I don't have my own land yet but I find it fascinating! Have picked up loads of tips and knowledge just from reading the daily posts.