Field Politics - what would u do?

Rupert2006

Visit site
I have been at my livery yard for just over 4 months - in that time my horse has been bullied quite a bit, so has moved fields a total of 4 times - the fourth time being to the field he is in now and a result of another livery leaving the yard. (The third time he moved he was in a field on his own and seemed to be quite happy and it allowed time for his numerous bite wounds to heal.)

However, the livery that left has suddenly decided to return after only a week and is back in the field - this means that there is one horse too many and I have been asked to move AGAIN!!

I spoke to the yard owner and said that i really didn;t want to move my horse again and that myself and one of the other horse owners had planned to leave our horses out together as long as poss in the winter before bringing them in - and if I move she won't be able to do that either. The YO was understanding, but was at a loss at to what the solution could be.

In my mind it is simple - the horse that left and has now come back should move, as things have moved on since she left. But I think she is going to try and throw her weight about so I am not sure whether I should stick to my guns or give in and move my horse yet again, and miss out on the winter arrangement and the social side of things too.

I hate making trouble, but I feel like I am being pushed around because I haven't made a fuss before.

What would you guys do?

horsegirl

Visit site
I agree, the person who left should be the one to move to a new field. Although really it come down to the YO's choice where she/he puts the horses at their yard.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
I agree that the returning livery should be the one to move as she did leave in the first place. Point out to the YO that you were the one still paying money and have been loyal, who's to say that the other livery will not up and leave again? - after all she has done it once!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
The unwritten law of livery yards is first in has the choice I'm afraid, and the returning livery should go where she is put..
I would be really upset if my horse was expected to move again, poor horse has only just got used to the heirarchy of the current field so stand your ground and say no.
Explain the injuries have only just healed and you are not willing to change fields again. What's the matter with the flippin' yard owner, I always move horses if they get lots of bites, for the horse's sake not the owner.
I'm afraid it's time to be polite but firm and say the returner should fit the arrangements now made, not expect everyone else to change to suit her.
Stand firm and she will back down I reckon.

calon

Visit site
stick to your guns and let the one that left sort out her own problems field bullying can in my experiance totally change a horses temprement and performance so u stick it out good luck

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I would not move. She left the yard so she gave up her stable and field. It is not your problem if she decided to return.

If you have explained to your YO that your horse is now settled, and the other horse in your field have the same requirements, they would be not thinking very well to move you.

If the YO puts you back in a position whereby your horse is going to get injured again, start looking for another yard if possible.