Field prep for summer

Lionrose

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I have bought a new property and I am in the process of building a stable and hard standing area out the back of my house. I have a 2.5acre field. Horses were on it july-nov last year. Complete newby to grass management and I want to get them back to field asap for the summer.

That said, the field is in pretty poor shape. I didnt poo pick 🤦‍♀️ Quite sparse in places and having built a lane through it (for access to my new stable block) there is now a big strip of topsoil running up it.

Can I have advice from those experienced in pasture management on the following questions-

1. Should I harrow, overseed and roll and if so how long min would i need to keep horses off.
2. Could I just harrow and roll to help grass recover?
3. Have decided not to fertilize until autumn.
4. I will need to seed the topsoil strip but worst case can tape this off. Will they have to stay off that even longer?

I am researching grass seed and see rye free horse ones are best for lami prone and do gooders. Any recommendations of seed suppliers that deliver to NI?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My fields always look sparse after winter but they recover really well and in 12 years I've never seeded or fertilised, the gateway and little areas get a bit bare but the rest is fine.

I wouldn't fertilise if you have good doers or lami prone horses the one time I was on a yard that did 5 horses got laminitis including my own.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t roll I just harrow.

I’ve only ever put grass seed down once, when it looked particularly bad. I literally just sprinkled it on with a black bucket and the bald areas are now wonderful, but it’s taken two years to achieve. Luckily it was the field that didn’t get used all year so no horses in it.

It was this one I think

marmalade88

Visit site
If you haven’t poo picked then consider what kind of weather you harrow in because it can just spread worm eggs around, westgate labs has info on this. How many horses are on the ground? I’d definitely consider poo picking that size of field, they usually do it in the same places and you can whip around pretty quickly.

Once you’ve been there a year or two you’ll know to manage the land properly, the first few years are all learning so don’t worry if it looks rubbish ground can recover pretty well. Could you strim down any sour patches now or get some local farmer to shove the sheep in?

Is the mud track just mud or will you get something put on it? Hardcore?

Depending on horses look at the type of grass, most basic seed mixes are rye which is rich and as a previous poster said can cause problems. I believe autumn is best time for over seeding, grass grows anywhere above 7 ‘C. If you put it down now they’ll eat the seedlings, grass seed is expensive alsosoyou don’t want to waste it. I’ve used meadow mani and Cotswold seed previously, the later were helpful on the phone with advice.