Field shelter design. Size of openings?

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Finally got my own wee perfect private grazing/yard. I'm in the process of ordering a field shelter so b can winter out with the cozy shelter to hide in if he chooses.

I have ordered a 24'x12' for him and his wee pal which will be set on hardcore with rubber matting and a bed of some description. However I have choices on the design. I want two openings so easy exit routes for them, builder recommends 4' wide each so I have the option to fit doors and convert to stables if needed, but I was thinking 2 x 6' would be safer for the boys reducing the risk of anyone catching themselves. What would your thoughts be? Can't see me converting to stables in the foreseeable. TIA. F XX

buddylove

Visit site
Mine is 24 x 12, I have a gate in the centre and 2 gates on the front. So technically it can be entirely open. In practice I always have the central gate closed and the front gates open.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was thinking 2 x 6' would be safer for the boys reducing the risk of anyone catching themselves. What would your thoughts be? Can't see me converting to stables in the foreseeable. TIA. F XX
I agree with you, I wouldn't have narrower than 6' openings in a field shelter, because of the risk of the horses injuring themselves.

My 20' x 12' shelter has two 6' openings, and the 30' x 12' shelter has two 8' openings. Both work well. I'd post pics but photobucket won't load for me tonight so I can't upload the pics.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
20' x 12', with 6' doorways.

image.jpg2_zps4ud7aje1.jpg

30' x 12', with 8' doorways.

image.jpg1_zpso2smcuqz.jpg

IMHO, 6' is plenty narrow enough when multiple horses share a shelter. Congratulations on getting your own place, how exciting!