Field shelter questions and recommendations

Marnie

Visit site
I am looking at putting up a field shelter for my 2 ponies, one about 11hh and one currently about 13.2 to make about 14hh. I have a concrete base where it will be put up which is sheltered by the back of a cow shed. The idea is that it will then allow me 24/7 hour turnout unless it gets really wet or horrible.

My questions are....

1. What minimum size would you recommend for 2 ponies?
2. I don't want to pay an absolute fortune but at the same time want something that will last - any recommendations?
3. I would like some way of being able to shut the ponies in and it looks as though the options are gates or slip rails - does anyone have any experience of which of these options may be better?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd try and go for the largest you can, then if one ever needed box rest etc, you could sub divide.
Having had slip rails yrs ago (mine are all open these days, no doors, tho I do occasionally shut one off with old cattle hurdles across the doorway), I'd go for a gate that is hung so it can be hooked flat back to the outside wall.

meleeka

Visit site
If you go for a gate just make sure there’s something covering it on inside, such as board or mesh, to stop hooves getting stuck.

How big depends on how well they get on.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have an 18ft by 12ft shelter with 2 6ft openings. It worked really well for 2 14hh welsh cobs as they each had an exit and a door way to stand in. I have slip rails which work perfectly well for the bigger/older ponies but I don't know if I'd be happy putting the babies behind them overnight. As @meleeka said put some ply on the inside of a gate to avoid feet getting stuck in between the bars. (i have a baby who climbs gates).