Field shelter

Thundering

Visit site
I am thinking of getting a field shelter to maybe use instead of stabling my two. The reasons are two fold really. To save money on bedding etc and so the horses have more freedom. I am just wondering about makes of shelter, how they can be secured so they do not fly off in the wind, planning permission, cost, size for one horse and one pony, design etc, I would like one that can be separated in to two if nec.
Its just a thought at the moment but looking in to ideas. Any tips on where best to put them, flooring etc. Thanks

BBP

Visit site
Be prepared to put a lot of thought, time, money and effort into this field shelter. Then be prepared for your equines to prefer using it as a windbreak, choosing to remain on the outside ??
Been there!
I’m lucky, my sister put a lot of thought, time, money and effort into buying a field shelter and my horse LOVES it!!? Her horses aren’t so bothered but mine practically lives it it. He goes in there if it’s windy, rainy, cold, too sunny, or just if he wants a nap. He’s very cross at the moment as it’s fenced off so my youngster can use it for box rest.

I can’t answer most of the questions as my sister sorted it, but it’s on grass next to the hard standing and we put woodchip and aubiose in it. So far that is working well, only in the wettest weather does it start to get a bit boggy as water runs down the hill and under it.

cauda equina

Visit site
I've got 2 on metal skids which really are mobile.
Some of the supposedly mobile ones are on a wooden frame which I wouldn't trust not to fall apart if you tried to tow them
I've moved them for various reasons such as a new horse needing his own space or the entrance getting poached
They are just parked on grass with rubber matting floors, otherwise as the grass wears away it gets very dusty inside
They are not pegged down but do have louvres at the back to let the wind out

Cocorules

Visit site
I have got some, mostly in metal skids which are then secured. One also converts to stables as it has stable doors for access and a divider which I can swing across to split it into two stables or swing back and have open access.

They have a chalk base but I have rubber mats on top. If you are in a sandy area, sand is just as good.

We make our own so use shiplap on the outside and have kickboards inside, the roof has a layer of board with metal sheets on top.

It is very handy to give them 360 degree access as they then get a windbreak if the wind is going the other way.

Also site it away from trees so you don't get leaves in the guttering and you don't spend sleepless nights worrying about trees falling on it.

rextherobber

Visit site
I've got 2 on metal skids which really are mobile.
Some of the supposedly mobile ones are on a wooden frame which I wouldn't trust not to fall apart if you tried to tow them
I've moved them for various reasons such as a new horse needing his own space or the entrance getting poached
They are just parked on grass with rubber matting floors, otherwise as the grass wears away it gets very dusty inside
They are not pegged down but do have louvres at the back to let the wind out
Do you mind if I ask what size yours are, and what you use to tow them?

Bionic Boy

Visit site
Have a word with the guys at Fallen Oak Timber Buildings on Facebook. They supplied mine. Really helpful and very reasonably priced.
My old boy has lived out for about 6 years now, I could never do that without a field shelter. It’s great for him as he loves the shelter and he can go in and out as he pleases. He has arthritis so if he spends a night in a stable he stiffens up a lot.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours is a conversion of an existing building, although we were a bit worried about its roof during the recent storms. Our flooring is hardcore with mud control mats on top, which then go out into the field to provide hard standing. We put bedding (shavings) on top. The horses love it and are definitely thriving, living out.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My field shelters have mud control slabs as flooring, put directly onto the grass and topped with sand. This type of floor will move along with the shelter if you have to move them due to planners. My shelters are of the polytunnel type so no good if your horse does a lot of rubbing.

SEL

Visit site
My most recent one turned into matchsticks with the storms in February. I would avoid galvanised steel roofing again because if one of those panels had hit human or horse as they flew off I think there would have been horrific injuries - they gouged huge holes in the ground and were 2 acres away by the time we got there.

So I would go for the most solid one you can afford and put it in the most sheltered space (although we were just unlucky because the wind took out 3 trees and two shelters in a straight line - perhaps a mini tornado)

We had big screw in ground bolts and they kept the base in place - the rest of it disintegrated. If I spend the insurance money on another one then I'd have an air vent and I'd also try and have the hedgerow behind it. The second shelter got airborne but was jammed up in the hedge and came down of its own accord thankfully.

The ground inside all of mine has stayed dry but I have mud control mats outside as that's where it gets really boggy. They have tended to use them more in the summer to get away from the flies though.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you go the whole hog, I can recommend getting a permanent shelter put in on a concrete base. My field shelters are built to the same specification and by the same firm as my stables. They have lined roofs and are anchored to the concrete base with steel bolts.

I have rubber mats over the concrete. All my horses love their shelters and use them year round. I did need planning permission. This is the 30' x 12', I also have a 20' x 12', both with dual entrances.

8BCF0052-F336-4246-91A0-2127B88ABA65.jpeg

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My field shelters have mud control slabs as flooring, put directly onto the grass and topped with sand. This type of floor will move along with the shelter if you have to move them due to planners. My shelters are of the polytunnel type so no good if your horse does a lot of rubbing.

Rab can you point me in the direction of your polytunnel type shelters please. How sturdy are they in wind and how well are they anchored down?

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site

asmp

Visit site
I am thinking of getting a field shelter to maybe use instead of stabling my two. The reasons are two fold really. To save money on bedding etc and so the horses have more freedom. I am just wondering about makes of shelter, how they can be secured so they do not fly off in the wind, planning permission, cost, size for one horse and one pony, design etc, I would like one that can be separated in to two if nec.
Its just a thought at the moment but looking in to ideas. Any tips on where best to put them, flooring etc. Thanks
Where abouts are you? I would recommend the company who made mine if you’re down south. As SEL says, go for a solid one - a cheap one would be a waste of your money. Mine wasn’t the the cheapest but certainly wasn’t the most expensive one either. I was able to go and see one is situ before we bought it.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Loved mine (for the 6 months we had it) but it was totally destroyed in Storm Eunice despite ground anchors and being tied to/surrounded by fence posts etc. It is worth getting planning advice as to what your planning authority accepts. Some do not accept mobile shelters at all because of AONB/national park status etc and most say that connecting to services like water and electricity, putting on a solid base and not moving every X weeks means that it is not mobile and does need PP.

Thundering

Visit site
Thanks. I have looked at a few of the recommended ones. Early days yet as just looking in to it but thanks to everyone that commented so far.

Welshboy

Visit site
My horse has a 12x12 nice quality shelter. It’s on skids, so we didn’t obtain planning permission and I have mudcontrol slabs inside, which are removable and work perfectly. I have it staked down in all four corners (big stakes into the ground and a bolt through to the shelter). which has done the job for 5 years now. He lives out 24/7 and uses the shelter an awful lot ??. We couldn’t be without it

Hack4fun

Visit site
If you go the whole hog, I can recommend getting a permanent shelter put in on a concrete base. My field shelters are built to the same specification and by the same firm as my stables. They have lined roofs and are anchored to the concrete base with steel bolts.

I have rubber mats over the concrete. All my horses love their shelters and use them year round. I did need planning permission. This is the 30' x 12', I also have a 20' x 12', both with dual entrances.

View attachment 88775
That's fantastic but will need planning permission.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That's fantastic but will need planning permission.
Yes, it did. Got the PP easily though, although not in my first choice of position backing onto the hedge by the road. Apparently that would dominate the site too much, so it had to go higher up in the field next to the stables, where it is much more visible from the road ?‍♀️.

Planners, eh?

Actually, it works better where it is than in our first choice of situ, so thanks, planners ?.

HashRouge

Visit site

View attachment 88775
I would LOVE a set up like this!

OP I can't have a field shelter where I am as it is not my land, so I manage things by leaving out most of the time and only bringing in if the weather is particularly wet/ windy. We have good natural shelter, but my 29 year old Arab does not do wet, windy weather. While I'd love a field shelter, it is a pretty good compromise. This year I have barely brought in at all. I thing they've been in maybe 3-4 nights since New Year. Just an idea, if you can't make the field shelter work :)

Thundering

Visit site
I am still considering and looking in to field shelters. A few more questions if you dont mind. It will be a mobile shelter on skids. What do you do about flooring? mud mats etc? what about poaching of ground near shelter? Bedding inside? Any good companies in the midlands? I am looking at mid range really as dont want something too cheap and flimsey but also on a budget. Its a big purchase for me so want to get it right.

Thundering

Visit site
Thanks, looking at the mud mats website they suggest mud mats outside the shelter not in? Does anyone just use earth floors?

cauda equina

Visit site
I did, but after a while the earth 'floor' wore away and it became very dusty. We are in a flinty area so there were loose stones in it too
Stable mats (rubber or eva) on top of the grass (I mow it first if long) work really well

HashRouge

Visit site
We put straw down on an earth floor and it worked really well. I'd have liked mud control slabs round the outside though, as that did get quite muddy.