field shelters buy or diy?

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Hi , Is it better to build your own shelter , which takes time or if it's better to buy a ready made. I'm on a bit of a budget but the cheeper ones look really flimsy. Any good tips ?, thanks

BigRed

Visit site
when we costed it out, it was not much cheaper and then you also have your own personal time to take into account. Buy a cheaper one and line the inside to make it more robust.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
It would need a roof , as my ID x lives out ,but it would be really good to get him out of the rain , we seem to get more rainy days here in cornwall than dry ones!

friesian80

Visit site
My field shelter perhaps is not you are looking for for but here it is:

I got my OH to hammer in the extra long fence posts 2 for each pallet then slide the pallet over them, mine is one and a half pallets high for one side of it but you could use 2 pallets to give it more height, perhaps that would still be too low for your horse?
I then covered it in garden windproofing (stapled it on)
Then layed rubber mats inside to keep down on mud.

You can see here how the pallets go over the fence posts
DSC04461.jpg

This is the side which is one and a half pallets high
DSC04439.jpg

DSC04441.jpg

DSC04443.jpg

This is a smaller one I made
DSC04459.jpg

These shelters are very very robust and manage to withstand our Shetland gales.

Ok its pretty makeshift but is good for someone on a budget and you could put a sheet of corragated iron on the top and secure it down.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Hi friesian80 , I must say , although i'm thinking of the more traditional type of shelter , this diy job looks pretty good , i have used the pallet and post trick to make boxes to hold my pooh pickings , but my ID is 15.3hh and hates the rain in his ears ( does great eeyore impression!) We live in a valley so we are not so exposed as you guys, it's more for the rain than the wind.