Field toys for foals

muckypony

Visit site
Now that the snow has finally gone, my foalies are back out and enjoying themselves. My only concern now is them getting bored during the day and finding something 'fun' to do like escaping! - they have enough grass and seem to respect the fencing (don't call me cruel, but it is quite funny to see them getting cozy with the electric fencing, and then getting zapped on the nose :D:p ) but them being babies, shetlands.... and colts! makes me wonder if they could do with a toy or two to keep them occupied? I was thinking a football or maybe a pilates ball!?

Would this be safe? Good idea or not?

Any other suggestions?

Brightbay

Visit site
I don't think you need to go to a lot of expense ;)

A few years back I was doing an observational study of some feral horses, and three foals spent about 50 minutes one day playing with an old discarded shoe :D (I may actually have a photo of this, I will go look).

Non spiky tree branches that have fallen in the wind are also great fun, apparently. Anything that can be bitten, chucked around, carried in the mouth, and suitable for playing tug-o-war seems to work well too.

ETA - pic... the shoe can just be seen behind mum ;-)
P7290043.jpg

Last edited:

muckypony

Visit site
Thank you, Brightbay - looks like a bit of mane would do the job too :p

I've just bought a space hopper on ebay.... Looks like the jolly ball is the same thing, just more expensive!! Can't wait to see what they make of it! I might have to try an old shoe as well... Or I could just put my coat in the field... They seem to love chewing that!! :D

Adopter

Visit site
My two youngster seem to enjoy finding anything OH leaves within reach - covers from tractor, fire beaters, ground sheets keep finding them around paddock! He is learning to put things out of reach.

They also seem to have had time this winter to give my rose hedge a good prune along with the blackberries on the edge of the field and some of the other trees.

They seemed to be doing so much breaking and chewing on trees that I had to hastily check they were ok for them, none of our other horses/ponies have ever attempted to chew in the same way, guess it is youngsters.

Emsarr

Visit site
I know of a young stallion (well he was then) that had to have his wellie with him, he had it in his stable, when out and when he travelled. He loved that thing! Used to throw it about and chew at it.

Not an expensive toy there ;)

Archangel

Visit site
I have hung those 4 pint milk cartons from trees. They are a favourite in the stables as they can run them up and down the walls (sets my teeth on edge!).