Fields now doggy day care

Country Mouse

Visit site
Near us 4 small fields, next to each other, with good fences, stables with hard standing. All used during the week for doggy day care. At least a dozen dogs in each, and now someone else across the road is doing the same. All the fields we used to walk the dog are now fenced for horses. Are dogs a better financial option? Boy are they noisy.

Polos Mum

Visit site
A dog walk is £10 per dog per hour so if you can collect up 3-4 take them to the secure walking area then let them have a good run around. Whole job takes 2 hours with collection and drop off and you earn £40 for the 2 hours. You could easily to 2 or 3 sets per day = sensible income.

Pay the owner of the land even as low as 25% they will be making loads more than DIY at £30 a week for 0.001% of the hassle of DIY people / horse damage.

Billyandme

Visit site
Doggy day care is pretty easy money. I know a yard which does both. Dogs during day and horses out by night. Personally Oi wouldn't want my horses grazing on a doggy toilet ?

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
A dog walk is £10 per dog per hour so if you can collect up 3-4 take them to the secure walking area then let them have a good run around. Whole job takes 2 hours with collection and drop off and you earn £40 for the 2 hours. You could easily to 2 or 3 sets per day = sensible income.

Pay the owner of the land even as low as 25% they will be making loads more than DIY at £30 a week for 0.001% of the hassle of DIY people / horse damage.

Starts to sound tempting doesnt it :O

chaps89

Visit site
Local rehab yard has done just this.
2 paddocks with dog proof fencing, a set of agility equipment and some stables converted into dog pens with outdoor runs.
Her livery isn't cheap but she will still make more money with the dogs!

Eta- but @Scotsbadboy if you happen to be in the south east then I would be very interested in 3 acres sole use ??

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Doggy day care is pretty easy money. I know a yard which does both. Dogs during day and horses out by night. Personally Oi wouldn't want my horses grazing on a doggy toilet ?

I wouldn't want my dogs to spend their days eating pooptreats left by the horses who used the field during the night!

p030.gif

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Yeah I cant see how dual use is safe, especially where there are some cases of dogs getting sick after eating recently wormed horses poo.

I'd choose dogs over horses though. Less destructive.

jsprince

Visit site
Near me there is a field split in two so they are about 1.5 acres each you can rent either for £10 a hour, I think to rent both is more expensive. You pay in advance have to clean up after yourself and they put on few obstacles for the dogs or leave some logs or bales out.

I worked out that if I gave up horses and turned it over to doggy walking I'd rake in at least £250 a week on my 12 acres as can offer toilet facilities and refreshments.

Not sure my horses appreciate my thinking though, but then they shouldn't break my fences and destroy gates so often.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
One locally has just shut down as public liability insurance was compromised.
YO only had equine cover, not subletting to business use.
Dog business had a transgression by a dog and then owner off the agility paddock, tried to claim off her insurance, buck passed to YO/LO (one and the same). Her insurance not paying out. Horse injured too, YO horse insurance looking to recover from dog business under dog business insurance
liability, stalemate at present.

So, be careful about all insurances in place and that they do indeed cover for multiple usage etc etc...

MissTyc

Visit site
There's a nearby indoor school that is now just used by dogs for playtime £10/hour. The horses are now ridden in the field! I took my own dog there and it was full from 5AM to 9PM for weeks in advance. Makes me wonder if I can hire out any of our grazing by the hour ...