Fieldsafe headcollars, sizing

dixie

Visit site
Does anyone know how large the large size comes up please?

I have a green fieldsafe headcollar but it hasn't got a size on. Its looks quite large for a cob size but it won't come anywhere near my horse.

Or is there a generous sized alternative I could look at?

He is a 17hh ID xTB if that helps.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My mare got caught badly this morn by field head collar and only got free when the head collar which was fairly tight, popped off her nose. It didn't break away. I wouldn't buy another one now. I thought I was doing the right thing with that but clearly I was wrong. She has really hurt her legs but it could have easily been broken legs/pts job so I consider us lucky.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I too have had not great experiences with then, the ones with the rubber rings don't last a good roll, the ones with velcro don't appear to be fieldsafe at all.
I now use an old/ poor quality imported leather headcollar - much cheaper than branded fieldsafe ones and they seem to get the balance right between coming apart when needed and staying on more than 10 mins.

chessy

Visit site
I too have had not great experiences with then, the ones with the rubber rings don't last a good roll, the ones with velcro don't appear to be fieldsafe at all.
I now use an old/ poor quality imported leather headcollar - much cheaper than branded fieldsafe ones and they seem to get the balance right between coming apart when needed and staying on more than 10 mins.

Agree with this, old leather headcollars much better than "fieldsafe" ones!

PandorasJar

Visit site
I use a fieldsafe on one of my girls to lead (dont turn out in it) she dislikes normal headcollars after I spent a lot of money on a new fieldsafe leather one only for it to tear her face open :(
I now use this as light weight for contained leading while she gets happy with headcollars again and shes not fussed. It's put up with a rear and has been pulled firmly on a couple of occasions with no look of giving easily.

Would never ever use a fieldsafe or normal headcollar with metal on it if leaving on unattended again. Only rubber fieldsafes would be considered.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Sorry meant to say cob sized fits all bar IDs as very easy to change size however if buying another I'd go a size larger as all (tbs, Welsh ds etc) have it on over half loosened and most on very loose, so could easily go larger.