Filled fetlocks and hind legs any ideas ??

irishdraft

Visit site
I put all of my horses (3) into a new field last night, has been grazed previously by them but has been rested so good grass in there but not excessively so. This morning when checking i noticed one youngster had filled fetlocks and half way up his hind legs, other 2 were fine. So to be on safe side moved them back to old field which is fairly well grazed out, in case it was a case of too much rich grass as he is a bit on the porky side. Check tonite and still the same, no obvious injurys etc never had it before, any ideas what this could be, 3 year old so not worked, not fed, just out 24/7.

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
Hmmm, odd huh?
Are there any signs of grazes at all anywhere on the legs?

I guess this horse could have the beginnings of cellulitis so may be cold hose them and see whether they go down +/- flare back up again? Maybe he had a hooley around the field?

Odd one. I assume he's not lame at all?

irishdraft

Visit site
No injuries or signs of mud fever type skin, no charging round field, checked for that ! not sure if hes lame but seems fine in self and walking around fine so have a trot up tomorrow, btw didnt think there was much point in cold hosing as you cannot really do it for long enough to be effective ? especially when youre on a water meter ! what triggers cellulitis ?

FlyingCoo

Visit site
I had exactly the same as this last year on my boy. The same symptoms as yours and scratched my head for quite some time. Did the usual things then resorted to getting the Vet out where we took bloods etc etc and still nothing. As he was sound I was advised to keep working him as he was happy within himself and working him would have been better to keep the circulation going. In the end we worked out that he had taken some kind of reaction as I was feeding him new hay as there was nothing else available at the time and that's what caused his legs to fill.Later on in the season the same thing happened when he moved fields and again we put it down to him having some kind of reaction and eaten something as he is a great one for eating over the fence even though he has a whole field of grass behind him!!
This year we have had no problems as have changed yards and will not feed new hay!!
Hope this helps you.

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
No injuries or signs of mud fever type skin, no charging round field, checked for that ! not sure if hes lame but seems fine in self and walking around fine so have a trot up tomorrow, btw didnt think there was much point in cold hosing as you cannot really do it for long enough to be effective ? especially when youre on a water meter ! what triggers cellulitis ?

Usually cellulitis and lymphangitis are triggered by a bacterial infection, but often you can find the source or a wound. Cellulitis technically occurs first, which is the inflammation of the cellulite (damn stuff!! ;)) or fatty layer under the skin. Once that gets so swollen the lymphatic drainage is impeded or involved then the condition is called lypmhangitis. The latter tends to be more severe and aggressive in onset and spontaneous oozing of serum can occur. Nasty and not what this sounds like.

I would monitor and as someone else suggested check for allergy causing substances that could cause swelling? If it goes down with exercise, keep working him.

Hope it disappears soon
Imogen

millitiger

Visit site
sounds like it was set off by the new grass.

my 4yro has huge legs at the moment so has gone straight back in his old field tonight, having hay instead of haylage during the day and is getting whizzed around the lunging pen to bring down the swelling (i can't ride due to broken collarbone :()

out of interest how big is your youngster?
my boy is nearly 18hh and the bigger they are the more likely they seem to be to coming down with this sort of thing due to circulation.
(the last horse i had who had these sort of issues was a 17.1hh mare, again only when she was out of work and put onto lush grazing).

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
new lush grass = piggy horses. would think if no cuts or grazes present it might be caused by a sugar and protein rush! has she got the squits? grazing glands on chin/neck? perhaps do a few hours on new field then back to grazed field over a few days. keep her turned out so she can move and keep filling to a minimum. the grass now is very good second flush... real lami grass! hope they are down to normal by morning.

thundersprite

Visit site
intresting to read this as my mares hind legs are now swollen from hoof to hocks including the hocks, shes only 15h and a welsh d and she moved fields 1 week ago although is strip grazed so may be down to grass, have to exercise her and keep and eye on her as shes had hepaitiis and is still recovering but vet dosnt think its connected to her liver

TheBlack

Visit site
Mine had this 2 legs then all four went by the end of the day! Got vet out he said its just allergies to something she ate, new hay grass etc. Toxin always go to the legs, he said not to worry keep her walking about and it soon went down by the next 2 days.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Our vets have warned to be vigilant for unusual hind limb swelling as there is a virus going around and this seems to be the main symptom....