Fillings!

Anna*

Visit site
Pony is having fillings tomorrow. I’m not sure what to expect. Is it fairly quick and straightforward, how long was recovery and when were you able to ride again?
Thank you!! X

Bruce17

Visit site
Mine has one. About two weeks recovery time, bute the first few days. Ridden work could restart as normal after two weeks.

Bruce17

Visit site
Yep, absolutely fine.
I'd maybe recommend a dental every six months, rather than a year. Just to keep an eye on it. Mine has every six months anyway as she had another tooth removed so now has nothing to wear that one down evenly.

Rainbow did mine. Apparently its not common, but not unheard of. Should be no problems as long as they make sure they get all of the dirt and gunk out of the hole first. If they don't, it can get infected and then tooth would have to be removed anyway.

Eta - procedure itself about an hour under sedation

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Daughters mare needs 2 fillings ..due to be assessed early April and of course everything is on hold. I ll be interested in OPs experiences tomorrow.

ExRacers

Visit site
My Welsh A companion pony had 6 fillings done in February this year. Done under standing sedation at the vet hospital, he was back home late afternoon and out grazing without turning a hair! Teeth been checked annually prior to this and no reason as to why he suddenly needed so many filled. Human grade white fillings used and cost was £508. He’s been absolutely fine since.

Last edited:

LittleP

Visit site
My mare had a tooth filled 2 years ago. As above, done at vets with standing sedation, came home early evening and back out with her friends a couple of hours later. My OH was allowed to watch the procedure and said it was very much like us having a filling at the dentist. Took less than 30 minutes then had to wait for the sedation to wear off before she could travel home.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Like teeth fillings? I had no idea they could give horses fillings, as their teeth keep on growing, really interesting, can you tell us more?

Mine had a filling last year. Horses teeth don’t grow they erupt over a period of time as they are ground down until there is none left in old age. I was told that in my horse the cavity would have always been there but as the teeth wear down the cavity became exposed. He had a soft filling with standing sedation and was rideable within a couple of days.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Pony is having fillings tomorrow. I’m not sure what to expect. Is it fairly quick and straightforward, how long was recovery and when were you able to ride again?
Thank you!! X
Our pony had a cavity filled recently, he was sedated, it was very straightforward and cost £275 ? could be ridden the next day ?

NeverSurrender

Visit site
My old section A had some fillings when broken teeth were extracted. They caused him no real issues in the grand scheme of his mess of a mouth, and was back being ridden within a few weeks.