Filly has really scurfy coat - recommendations

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My filly has loads of white scurf in her coat. It is all over her body. Not dust, but like dandruff. Any recommendations of how to treat it? I was thinking of getting her some Head and Shoulders! Has anyone tried that? I thought of micronized linseed but she doesn't like it and leaves her feed :(

Abbeygale

Visit site
I used to use head and shoulders on itchy horses, and found it was really good. Particularly liked the menthol one.

However, I wouldn't personally bath yet with our weather unless you have to. How about hot clothing with cider vinegar? Might take a few water changes if she is very scurfy, but maybe better than soaking her right through?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I used to use head and shoulders on itchy horses, and found it was really good. Particularly liked the menthol one.

However, I wouldn't personally bath yet with our weather unless you have to. How about hot clothing with cider vinegar? Might take a few water changes if she is very scurfy, but maybe better than soaking her right through?

Thanks. No I won't be bathing her just yet unless we get another really warm day. She gets a daily grooming but this makes no difference. Hot clothing is a good idea. Will try that. Thank you.

becca1305

Visit site
My 5yo went through a scurfy stage at this time of year when she was 2 & 3yo. I bathed her in gentle baby shampoo more regularly than normal (when warm enough) which helped and popped some oil in her feed but tbh I think it was just a case of growing up & coat change as it hasn't come back since :).

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My 5yo went through a scurfy stage at this time of year when she was 2 & 3yo. I bathed her in gentle baby shampoo more regularly than normal (when warm enough) which helped and popped some oil in her feed but tbh I think it was just a case of growing up & coat change as it hasn't come back since :).

Thanks, yes I was wondering if it might be an age thing. We had a puppy once that got really bad dandruff and had it until she was an adult, then grew out of it.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
will she take linseed oil in her feed rather than micronised linseed as this is really good

My two year old new forest had the same problem so l added linseed oil & its worked wonders.

Thanks. I have a whole bag of linseed so I would love to use that. I think I will try again with it, but this time add just a very small amount and gradually increase it. If that doesn't work, I'll try the corn oil.

CobsGalore

Visit site
Have you checked really well for lice?

Sorry if you have, but my horse had the same thing recently and I treated him for lice and now the scurf / dandruff has gone.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Have you checked really well for lice?

Sorry if you have, but my horse had the same thing recently and I treated him for lice and now the scurf / dandruff has gone.

I have checked through the base of her mane etc and couldn't see anything. Though she is a touch scabby (does lots of play fighting with the two year old). But maybe I ought to treat her in any case. Can't lose anything by it. Thanks.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My filly has loads of white scurf in her coat. It is all over her body. Not dust, but like dandruff. Any recommendations of how to treat it? I was thinking of getting her some Head and Shoulders! Has anyone tried that? I thought of micronized linseed but she doesn't like it and leaves her feed :(

Had this problem with one of mine, and vet recommended washing in hibi scrub and including soyal oil to the diet. The change was amazing beautiful shine on the coat.

FireFly29

Visit site
My horse was quite scurfy around this time last year.
I bought some NAF love the skin he's in wash (comes with a red microfiber cloth) and hot clothed her. It really made a difference.
I also hot clothed her last week with the NAF wash and she's lovely and shiny now, I would definitely recommend it.