Pictures Filly is here!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've never really been a big lover of Arabs, too finely built and small for my personal taste BUT yours really are beautiful looking horses ❤❤
I'm still absolutely fascinated that you have a cow print one ?? They are going to look incredible together ❤

HashRouge

Visit site
I've never really been a big lover of Arabs, too finely built and small for my personal taste BUT yours really are beautiful looking horses ❤❤
I'm still absolutely fascinated that you have a cow print one ?? They are going to look incredible together ❤
I'm wondering what colour she will get next :p

She's lovely LG :)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
No decent photos today. It was rainy, windy and thundery. And then there was a herd-wide meltdown.

The neighboring farmer moved his cows into the field next to the horses. Mimosa hates cows and decided Arizona was to blame. Arizona had never seen a cow and found them mind boggling. Milagra regressed to her bull fighting days and went full on Spanish.

Nobody came out of it looking good. Mimosa is in jail in the round pen, on public disorder charges. Milagra is still at large because she let herself into the resting part of the field and I gave up trying to catch her in the rain. Arizona is still utterly transfixed by the cows and is staring at them with huge eyes.

I didn’t think today was the day to try turning them out together ?

They do make me laugh, silly beasts.

PurBee

Visit site
??. Oh sounds like quite a saga!

Arizona probably bewildered by cows that have similar patterns to herself…i can imagine her staring thinking “are they like me? God, i hope i dont look like that when i grow old!”

Here’s hoping tomorrow goes smoother and calmer weather for them to regroup and continue introductions…if they can stop being distracted by the cows…that’s rotten luck the cows appearing at such a delicate stage of your herd.

Must be one of those days for herd distractions - mine were bothered by neighbours friend visiting and their dog running alone loose everywhere, barking throughout various farms fields, including mine, randomly chasing anything that moved…mostly deer. I heard my gelding hissing from lower paddocks, inevitable after a gallop session and being wound up. Brought my dogs in as i dont know this dog at all, whether its fine with other dogs etc. Dog ended up on lower lands where calves are with mothers and farmer owner has a gun, so lucky the dog wasnt shot tbh! Also crappy weather here so just wanted to get everyone in and settled.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
??. Oh sounds like quite a saga!

Arizona probably bewildered by cows that have similar patterns to herself…i can imagine her staring thinking “are they like me? God, i hope i dont look like that when i grow old!”

Here’s hoping tomorrow goes smoother and calmer weather for them to regroup and continue introductions…if they can stop being distracted by the cows…that’s rotten luck the cows appearing at such a delicate stage of your herd.

Must be one of those days for herd distractions - mine were bothered by neighbours friend visiting and their dog running alone loose everywhere, barking throughout various farms fields, including mine, randomly chasing anything that moved…mostly deer. I heard my gelding hissing from lower paddocks, inevitable after a gallop session and being wound up. Brought my dogs in as i dont know this dog at all, whether its fine with other dogs etc. Dog ended up on lower lands where calves are with mothers and farmer owner has a gun, so lucky the dog wasnt shot tbh! Also crappy weather here so just wanted to get everyone in and settled.

Goodness, people are daft, aren’t they? I hope the dog has now returned to wherever it came from.

This morning the herd seem more settled, and Mimosa had a cuddle with Arizona until she noticed me watching and then the ears went back immediately ? we can’t have Management know that we are beginning to warm to the Inconvenience.

It is so interesting to watch them work through this, and watch the herd politics unfold. It makes me realise that I think I know them but there are nuances that I don’t pick up on. I must be constantly making equine social faux pas - they must think I’m totally uncouth.

The advantage of having them at home is that I’m on my own time so it really doesn’t matter if they need a few weeks to get used to being three.

PurBee

Visit site
i wonder if domestic horses experience jealousy? When there’s a pair, they become used to being a fixed unit of 2 and their connection cements somewhat -so introduction of a third will mean a disruption of that close 24/7 contact with each other, and attention is now more split between them all.
We know horses have their preferred horse mates in a large herd, so another coming along and 1 of thee pair liking the newbee, they cause a stir and the reaction is similar to jealousy.
It normally soon settles down as all realise theyre better off to survive in a group, yet it may be that milagra is somewhat feeling aggressive to arizona as mim has shown friendly interest in arizona? I wonder if mim had been distantly curious and not so forward with arizona whether milagra‘s behaviour would then have been less aggressive?

There’s obviously a lot of behaviour due to survival instincts, proving theyre faster, can fight better to gain rank for ultimately more dominance over food, thus ensuring survival. But i do often ponder in a domestic situation where they know food is supplied and there’s never lack, if other undertones of personality/ego behaviour come to the fore, which are not usually present in a wild herd and we witness behaviour stemming from personality/ego like jealousy, friendliness, even kindness when another horse feeds a nil by mouth horse in adjoining stable.

We have to be mindful of not completely explaining all animal behaviour by anthropomorphic ideas, but the distinction of domestication having a profound effect on their changed behaviour compared to their wild counterparts, has to be considered and possibly we do witness behaviours that are more personality based than pure animal survival driven.