Final goodbyes

Sven

Visit site
So tonight I put my boy to bed for the last time, as tomorrow he goes over the rainbow bridge to meet his old friends. He is 28 and 3/4 years old and been with me since he was six. I love every bit of him, but last night it hit me that it was time. It's like he has left already and there is just the ghost of him here. The vet came today and agrees it's time. Although it's breaking my heart I know it's the right thing to do and I am at peace with that.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You are the owner every horse deserves.

Remember your horse has been blessed with 22 years of love and care. He has known no fear, never been hungry, cold or without shelter. All his needs and more have been provided for by you. Treasure the memories.

VikingSong

Visit site
It's never an easy decision to make, but it sounds like it is his time to go. He had a full life with an owner who loved him. My thoughts are with you. x

Riz

Visit site
He is the exact age my boy made it to & he'd been in my life since he was 5 & I was 7. Growing up together and spending that amount of time with each other is such a blessing. Well done for making what definitely sounds like the right decision. You do just know when the time is right xx

Princess16

Visit site
Oh how sad but you are doing the best thing for him - you know the saying 'better a day too soon than a day too late'

((Hugs)) to you for tomorrow :-( I hope you will have someone there to support you x

PolarSkye

Visit site
You are the owner every horse deserves.

Remember your horse has been blessed with 22 years of love and care. He has known no fear, never been hungry, cold or without shelter. All his needs and more have been provided for by you. Treasure the memories.

Honestly couldn't have put it better myself. Please believe me when I say I will be thinking of you tomorrow . . . your lovely boy is so lucky to have had you then and have him now.

P

JJS

Visit site
I'm so sorry that you've had to make this decision, but it truly sounds as though your lovely old man has had the very best life with you, right through to the end.

ozpoz

Visit site
What a charmed life he has led with one loving owner - kindness to the very end of his days.
Thinking of you - x

fatpiggy

Visit site
I did the same and for the same reason really. I'd still give up everything to have her back, but only if she was young and fit and well again. When you can't fight time anymore you have to stand and face the end proudly and with courage which is exactly what you are doing. I hope the sun shines on you both.

leflynn

Visit site
Thinking of you and your partner, I hope the sun is shining and you have someone to comfort you later, you sound like the lovliest owner and you have been lucky to have such time together x

luckyoldme

Visit site
thinking of you and your old boy this morning, and not really poetic enough to think of anything better to say.
Its lovely to hear of a horse that has had that kind of perfect life and also a dignified end.xx

Sven

Visit site
Well it's done, and apart from the rain it went as well as it could have done and was very peaceful, the vet was wonderful as was the lovely man who takes them away. The start of this has been running around my head for weeks now so here is my poem for my horse.

It's not that I don't love you
I know you know that's true
And though it breaks my heart in two
I do this thing for you

I will not let you suffer
I won't let you feel pain
And so I send you off to sleep
Till we can meet again

Raffles May 1987 to Feb 2016.

So just left with Sven the Shetland who has a temporary companion until I decide what to do next.

Farcical1

Visit site
Well done for making the hard decision but ultimately the right one. It is the greatest kindness to let them go before they suffer.
It sounds like you knew him inside out and could tell that he wasn't right. Look after yourself now. I know from recent experience how hard it is to say goodbye.

And now you've made me cry again!