Final Height Question?

haras

Visit site
I know no one knows for sure, but I'm curious as to people's thoughts on how big my homebred arab filly will get to.

I've not bred before, so I'm not sure how much they grow between the ages of 18 months and 4/5 years.

I measured my filly tonight and shes just over 14hh on the withers and just under 14.2 on her rump. Mum is 14.3 and dad is 15.2

Thoughts!

Thanks!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Someone said to me that they take after their mother's usually but my IDxWB with a little American Paint mixed in is only about 15.2, yet mum was 17.2 and Dad was 16.3 so in all honesty I'm not sure that's true! Admitted my girl's only 5 but I seriously doubt she's going to get anywhere near 17 hands, even though she is a little bum high at the moment.

My best guess on your filly would be 14.2 as a minimum if that's where her bum is now. :) sorry not very technical answer at all! :eek:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Place one end of the string (baler twine ;) ) on the point of her elbow and measure to her ergot on her fetlock. Then, carefully keeping the same measurement, move the string up so one end is still on the elbow, but the other end is above her withers (string taught - not baggy). The gap between the wither and the end of your string is how much she has left to grow.

I did my two year old the other day and he *should* grow another three inches according to the string test.