finally! Bruce the magic unicorn show report+pics...

nikkimariet

Visit site
And my god did it take some effort to get there.......first of all we sold our lorry....then the new one wasn't here in time......then the 4x4 we intended to borrow got broken into.....so PS spent all of friday night begging anyone with a 4x4 to let us borrow it.......and at 10am on sat morning we finally found a long wheelbase defender, the size of a sherman tank, that we could borrow. Phew, sorted........

Now, Bruce hasn't been to a show for 6 years, I haven't been to a show for 5 years, and I last rode at xmas!!! So bit of an 'in at the deep end' sort of show!

So the troops all gathered and with Bruce wedged in to a pony ifor williams trailer (literally squashed in like a sardine!), off we went. Even the nocturnal brother made an appearance, along with joseph and kitty, so lots of pom pom wavers!!!

Bruce came off the trailer (backwards, wont fit out the front door!!!!) breathing fire, squealing like a mad spanish stallion and shuffling round a step at a time, desperate to be off, so we attached the father to him and made them both inhale calming oils!
DSC_0143.jpg

The gypos are here.....
DSC_0145.jpg

Me in my new ensemble...(thankyou soooo much PS, personal shopper and ATM!!!)
DSC_0147.jpg

Bruce bless his cottons totally ignored the quality selection of spazzing out horses in the warm up and trundled round, purring and squeaking to himself that this was really not on and that they'd got the wrong horse etc etc etc...
DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

My face here is b-e-a-utiful here please zoom in if you want a good laugh, scowling at a horse about to barge into my unicorn???
DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

So off we went in to the indoor for E44 and i think Bruce finally realized what was happening!
DSC_0221.jpg

But he tootled round like he did this last weekend bless him, never thought about spooking, but he did drop behind my leg in the canter work and went a bit too calmly and collectedly (esp for this judge, who prefers big moving forward forward forward type horses/tests) but as the aim of today was to get him back into the partying groove, we weren't too bothered...
DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

Gooooood boy Brucey:
DSC_0243.jpg

Quick breather then back in for E49, and by this time he was a very sleepy and tired unicorn (I was also knackered by this time), and couldn't be cajoled out of his captain slooooooow canter! But he did all the twiddly bits nicely and again didn't put a whisker out of line (if he had any whiskers to put out of line!!!)
DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

Few pilot errors in both tests.....I do not know what 15m looks like and one set of half 10m circles went a bit pear shaped but iv not ridden in a 20 x 60 for 5years so no shouting from PS!!!! Messed up my leg yields too, first one didn't really happen.....the second one I overbent him and he didn't really want to stop doing LY!!

58.4% in the first one and 59.7 in the second, so not huge marks, but if we can crack the GO in the canter it'll be fine, as he got all 6's and 7's for the trot and twiddly bits, but the 5's for the canter bought it down.

So he's qualified for the trialblazers second rounds by the skin of his teeth, and PS is going to get him out for another test run before I come back at easter to do them!!!

Think Bruce will sleep very well tonight, and I will ache tomorrow!!! xoxo

Tr0uble

Visit site
Saw these on FB - you haven't posted my fave! The one where he is stood sort of cocking his head to one side looking straight at the camera like he's posing!

He looks fab though, love Bruce!

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Awwwww he is so cute that first pic of him taking in his oils, what a sweetheart, and I love your 'don't side swipe my unicorn' face ggggrrrr v fierce ;)

well done he looks lovely, good luck for the trailblazers 2nd round

j1ffy

Visit site
You both look lovely, and Bruce looks very trim! Well done, especially for going straight in at Elementary in your first show in 5 years...I struggle with Intro at competitions ;)

tricksibell85

Visit site
You both look very very smart!! He is looking so much trimer (no offence)

How do you get him so sparkly and clean?

Well done on your marks xx

kez1001

Visit site
Aw he is just lovely! :)

Well done on getting out and about after a long break ESP those tricky tests. I too am terrible at knowing what shape a circle is :D lol you guys still looked great doing it though well done :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words :)

He is gradually getting trimmer yes, think we're starting to see more muscle definition (which is always tough on greys...). I think 3 people riding him helps too!

He is super clean because dirty horses aren't allowed at Turner Towers!!! And because me and PS scrubbed it head to toe with neon blue shampoo for a good hour!!

kez1001 - When I had my pony age when I was 14/15 I was riding Elementary at competitions so I've sort of picked up where I left off. I think it's only really been possible because Bruce is such a confidence giver. I felt like he was really taking care of me today, such a gentleman. Gave Kitty an insight into how laid back it really is, so I hope she starts taking him out to Prelim/Novice tests soon!!

xoxo

TheoryX1

Visit site
I want him. I feel your pain re greys. My daugher owns a skewbald with long white stockings and a white bum. We go though copious quanties of neon blue shampoo as well.

Nice photos and I want to take him home. He is lovely.

kez1001

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words :)

He is gradually getting trimmer yes, think we're starting to see more muscle definition (which is always tough on greys...). I think 3 people riding him helps too!

He is super clean because dirty horses aren't allowed at Turner Towers!!! And because me and PS scrubbed it head to toe with neon blue shampoo for a good hour!!

kez1001 - When I had my pony age when I was 14/15 I was riding Elementary at competitions so I've sort of picked up where I left off. I think it's only really been possible because Bruce is such a confidence giver. I felt like he was really taking care of me today, such a gentleman. Gave Kitty an insight into how laid back it really is, so I hope she starts taking him out to Prelim/Novice tests soon!!

xoxo

aww bless him - how lovely that he can give you that confidence, thats a very genuine boy you have, worth his weight in gold. Still think its an achievement to go back out at that level though so well done to you too. Kitty is a very lucky girl, look forward to following all of your progress, best of luck :)

Kokopelli

Visit site
Congrats :)
Bruce is stunning, I'm a sucker for greys and when you get them that clean it makes it so much more rewarding!

Well done again especially fo going straight in at elementry, I look forward to hearing more of you two in the future. :D

coreteam1

Visit site
Absolute Bobby Dazzler he looks :D
You both look very professional and I'm glad I wasn't warming up in the same arena ;)

I think you did really well to say you haven't competed for so long. Look forward to seeing more from you both