Finally conforming and need a new hat!

Dizzco

Visit site
As title really and just need some suggestions if you wouldnt mind helping me out! :)

Had always dressaged in my lovely beagler but then my not so lovely Beagles got hold of it and chewed it :confused::mad:, and then the new riding hat rule came in anyway.
Since this I've always opted for my trusty skull cap, a silver HS1 and of course being a follower of fashion I always have my hat cover revealing a nice strip of silver in a trendy kind of way - however ive now decided this look is getting rather dated in the dressage/SJ arenas and have succombed to the fashion of the 'showjumper' hats as we always called them. I actually have grown to quite like them now and well, as stated above it's about time I got in with the trend. Plus we have a few important things coming up and I want us to look smart.

But do I go for the traditional velvet riding hat with a nice flesh leather strap or go more trendy and get one of these more modern styles? Which ones look the least like cycling helmets and the most elegant?

I ride in navy so might stuggle as most seem to be black plastic?

Thanks in advance!

:D

Last edited:

KatB

Visit site
Look at the gatehouse hats, there is a new one (the conquest) which is lovely. I also ride in navy, so went for a browny coloured casco which I LOVE but may not be ideal for BD..mine is to sj in mainly!

soulfull

Visit site
If you mostly/only compete DR then I would go for traditional velvet. IF you do both then so long as it has more than just a 1384 and kitemark standard, ie ASTM or Snell any would be fine

or you could do like me and get two lol

I have a traditional one and a PRO tector

I am even looking for a 3rd one as I want a really vented one with washable liner for everyday as I look like I have been in the shower when I have ridden

Dizzco

Visit site
If you mostly/only compete DR then I would go for traditional velvet. IF you do both then so long as it has more than just a 1384 and kitemark standard, ie ASTM or Snell any would be fine

or you could do like me and get two lol

I have a traditional one and a PRO tector

I am even looking for a 3rd one as I want a really vented one with washable liner for everyday as I look like I have been in the shower when I have ridden

Ha I have a feeling that this is the route I'll end up taking... a hat for every occasion!

I like the sound of a really vented one with washable lining for every day, have you managed to find any yet?

Thank you for the suggestions everyone :)

jess_asterix

Visit site
I have a KEP Italia and I love it, really lightweight and cool and has a removable lining which is washable. Replacement lining can be bought for £35 to which is great if you want a clean one when one is being washed!

They also come in many different styles, shiny, Matt, diamonds, navy, black etc...

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I have the Charles Owen Leather Look Ayr8 for Dressage and Show Jumping which I really really love, but CO hats fit me spot on. I also have a Velvet CO hat with a leather harness, but I only wear that for hunting now.

eventer131

Visit site
a samshield hat looks really smart for dressage but they are stupidly expensive so i wuld go for a CO look good for both and wont break the bank (i dont think so anyway, not too sure on price)

Javabb94

Visit site
I have a Charles Owen Wellington classic in navy with flesh strap

It's cut like a showjumping hat but with traditional looks and shape - I really love it, it is so comfy!

showjump

Visit site
Ive just bought a gatehouse conquest hat, tried it on and loved it! Looks very posh aswell! The liners removable so handy to be able to wash it.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Not bought but tried on the brown caldene hat last weekend and was really impressed, it looked smart and would go with blue :)

Dizzco

Visit site
Oh thanks for the suggestions guys!

I think I am going to end up buying a smart, traditional one for BD and then a nice lightweight one for everyday / SJ

Loooove the Samshields, they do look super smart but way too expensive... but will pop it on the wish list ;)

Really like the Gatehouse conquest so think I'll definitely look at those and the KEP Italia.

I've also found and surprisingly liked the look of the Caldene 'Lumos' in brown or navy and they're also pretty cheap if anyone knows how good they look in the flesh.

Also the CO Fiona hat looks like it's based on their traditional Beagler so this might be a good option for dressage??

rowy

Visit site
I have a velvet champion grand prix helmet for dressage competing and looking to buy a uvex grey vented lightweight helmet for everyday. :D Tgey look so gorgeous and just realised you can get them from amazon so they are on my wanted list.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I have a charles owen ayr8 leather look in navy with a silver stripe and I love it. Really comfy, keeps my head cool, looks lovely and fits really well. Would definitely recommend.