Finally fed up

eggs

Visit site
After 36 years of doing my horses I am now officially fed up with doing them in this flipping weather and thinking of taking up an indoor hobby!

Day got off to a bad start when I discovered one of the horses had gone through the electric fencing breaking six of the wooden posts in the process and eating four of the saplings. Got drenched repairing the fence.

Fields are absolutely sodden and squelching underfoot. Got soaked again when I had to trudge across to repair the pipe to the water trough which was spouting water - thanks to whichever horse decided to try to move the trough.

Finally got soaked again when mucking out as the stable roof sprang a leak!

On the bright side, spring can't be too far away - can it?

PetalPower

Visit site
I know how you're feeling, two of our little sweethearts came through the electric fence this evening and had a scamper around the yard in the mud. And they both have long feathers which were absolutely awash with mud.

Still, keep a big grin on your face and tell yourself how lucky you are to be able to keep horses. You know deep down that they're grateful and no-one else would look after them as well as you do!

Hope this cheers you up!
wink.gif

TicTac

Visit site
Yep, another one here feeling tired and weary of this sodding cold and wet. Allthough I have to say that I,ve had horses for 40 years and every winter I say the same thing lol

I'm thinking of getting a couple of life bouys to attach to my horses rugs it's so wet and muddy in their paddocks. They were very pleased to come in tonight and I will probably keep them in now for a couple of days and work them. I actually think they will enjoy a bit of a break from the mud.

We don't seem to have had any respite from some kind of horrible weather since November now. I do hope that we get a change in temperature soon. Some sun would be nice and a bit of a warm breeze to dry the fields up maybe? Roll on spring!

Lollii

Visit site
You and me both, I am so fed up with this now, I have decided I am not going through another winter with this many horses, I would rather give up my liveries and go out and get a 'proper job'
confused.gif
but I have also decided that I am taking August off and going on holiday, someone else can look after them for a while

I have two horses that are pushing the post and rail over, it is so wet they can just lean on them and down they go (they are 18hh pecherons/sherman tanks!)
cool.gif

I now have 5 horses in one field that they can't break out of, it is so muddy I can't walk in it
crazy.gif

Holly831

Visit site
Just come in from bringing mine in, mud is now so deep its 3/4 of the way up my wellies and very very hard to walk in (I will have nice concreted paths for next winter....PLEASE)

This is only the second winter I have had land and had all 8 of mine together so I am a newbie in those terms but I hate the mud!!

Just looked at the 2 week forcast and it is rain, rain and then lots more snow........
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Now off to eat a whole box of Lindt Chocolates and start a bottle of wine before going out to feed and bed down for the night...
grin.gif
grin.gif

loz9

Visit site
im the same! we moved in the summer to have the horses outside the backdoor on our own land, which we knew was going to be wet but ran out of time to put the drainage in last summer (also renovating house & building stables) & its also a hell of a lot worse than we expected! Drainage is now top priority for this year along with a nice path to the fields (hopefully).
my biggest issue has been the mud & mud fever, the gate to the fields is now over wellie height in places & really sticky. The horses (7) have all had mud fever at one point & am now arguing with 11pairs of boots everyday to prevent it again! the mud even suctioned one of them off the other day
shocked.gif
The horses have now even started to refuse to go through the gate to turnout now & its the only access! & i dont fancy keeping 3foals in 24/7!
roll on spring!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Its bloody hard work with little reward so it seems, but spring is on its way, so we can all have a bit less of this rubbish to deal with.
Its horrid because not only do we have to contend with the elements but I find my girl is more of an idiot in winter as opposed to summer, they seem more chilled in the summer and easier to manage in general

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Sigh!!!! When the hot weather comes as it will soon.I for one will be complaining it's tooo hot!!! and cann't ride old mare because of her sweet-itch. But yes it's been a bad winter but will soon be forgotten when spring get here in 3 weeks time.