Finally found my new horse!

vam

Visit site
I'm not sure many people will remember me but I thought I would pop a post up in here as I used to spend most of my time in here.
I had my lovely big boy Q pts last Feb 18 months after he fractured his knee and it became clear that things where getting worse and he was never going to cope with any work even thou his brain needed full work. I was gutted as he was such a dude, even thou he was a huge pain in the butt.
After looking last year I gave up the search in the summer, I had no enthusiasm for its after riding horses which weren’t as described or just not for me. Moved house and area over winter so picked up the search again earlier this spring, had a horse fail the vet which I think was a lucky escape, it ticked all the boxes on paper but didn’t really doing anything for me.
My trainer then said we would go and visit a friend of hers as she has about 3 that would suit, I had no idea what I was going to see, I just left it to them! Tried 3 liked the first, second I dismissed after having a trot round, it didn’t seem to do my back any favours. The third I wanted to like but again after trotting it round I just didn’t like the way it felt so passed on that. I then sat back on the first, had another jump round and knew I really liked her. Went back on the Saturday, rode her in the school a bit and hacked her down the road, fine if a bit looky at things like the tree guys truck, not keen on puddles but brave and walked past everything without a meltdown.
Left a deposit, she passed her vet on Tuesday and I picked her up this Saturday!

Not going to lie, I traveled back worse than she did :redface3: :rolleyes3:. Q was a bad loader, ok traveller but a bad loader is one of the most soul crushing, frustrating things I have ever had with horses. I got it under control but it was always an issue. With that in mind I got them to load her, she hesitated which was fine but went up and travelled quietly if wobbly home. I however spend the journey worrying that she’ll never load again, hates the lorry etc, you know mind running wild. She unloaded sweetly, not a bit of sweat although she hadn’t eaten much, I was much happier! She will be doing lots of loading practice with me as I really don’t want the same issues again.

She has a lovely laid back attitude, green for her age so a bit wobbly and not really forward and off your leg, she came from a big yard which has lots of horses in to sell and as a homebred didn’t get the time or mileage put in which for me is great, it means she hasn’t been rushed and has had plenty of time to grow. She is 5 the end of May and has only done a couple of clear rounds and a BN so far, I think lots of hacking to build up fitness and get her going more forward will do the trick.
There is nothing flashy about her, she doesn’t over jump so for someone like me who couldn’t ride or sit to some of these horses you see advertised, it’s great, I might actually stay on!
So all in all, I'm a happy bunny! :biggrin3: Things work out in the end, she needs a bit of an mot, shoes, teeth, etc and we can crack on enjoying ourselves, no pressure. As much as I want and love competing it will be nice to ride a horse after years of not and having a broken one so will enjoy this spring and summer I think.

And of course there are pics from our first ride at the new yard….

20160416_141007_zpswkbbozbc.jpg

1359c9f9-fa40-44c8-a35c-be2cf73523ba_zpsg7pnrp1z.jpg

cc9a4d99-ab1d-4c2a-b5b2-a747ee9a751f_zpsvh35osux.jpg

ad5b0db4-dcea-4c6b-a7d0-bbda7b94ee1b_zpszderatxf.jpg

311726fc-4622-48fc-a55f-bb967700e50d_zpssywnzljl.jpg

8b832cd8-1933-41c2-8f33-6fe6aeba274e_zpswnnwverr.jpg

eee6b430-1ba0-4b5b-8831-3913b31a3249_zps52ldthfo.jpg

We didn't just go round on this rein in case anyone panics that I'm not aware of going in both directions, they are stills of a vid and the only time the sun shone was while I was on that rein otherwise they all come out dark.

LeannePip

Visit site
She looks lovely! I hope you both have lots of fun together!

I also wouldn't consider her behind for a 5yo, mine is yet to get out to a proper SJing show and has only done a little clear round this weekend!

atropa

Visit site
Oh my goodness I have to disagree that there's nothing flashy about her, she looks absolutely lovely and very smart to me! Just the type I like, sounds like you're going to have an amazing time with her.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Congratulations. She looks lovely and her paces look pretty flashy to me. Sounds very much like my girl, same age and done about the same, though mine likes to throw some shapes over a fence. What is her breeding? Hope you have many years of fun together.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Definitely remember you and think she looks really lovely. Looking forward to hearing more about her.

If you have your own transport spend a week quietly loading and unloading her 50 times a day until it's nothing. That will solve all your worries. Then do the same when you start taking her places. Done this with all of mine and all are excellent loaders and travellers.

TickyTavey

Visit site
Lovely horse, looks a weeny bit flashy to me too 😜 Also think she's doing great for a 5yo. Hope you have many years ahead.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes I remember your long search. So glad it's over and hope you get to enjoy some fun horsey times again. I also disagree, I wasn't expecting much from your post but she's lovely, looks a nice type and very smart! I love a bay, a much more practical colour! Look forward to your updates, I got my boy at the same age about this time last year!

vam

Visit site
Thanks all, she is lovely (so far!) I think when I say flashy I mean more over a fence, she doesn't give it feet (thankfully) she is very economical in all her work! Her paces thou are lovely and straight, wobbly and weak yes but lots to work with and she has a nice will try attitude, priceless to me really.
Need to work on building her strength and mine, I'm pretty pathetic at the moment!
Looking forward to getting her hacking and to 'go' more as I think it will be the making of her, she isn't as forward as the pics imply but that really is just lack of fitness and schooling, lots of time to get there with it.

Oh her name is Jools and she is AES, by Keep Cool ll out of a Holland mare, no idea if thats good or not thou!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
She looks very sweet and very pretty :)

There is nothing wrong with economical, mine has always been very economical, but also incredibly neat and I think I can remember every pole we've ever had, and its normally because I got ahead of myself and rushed us :rolleyes3:

LouisCat

Visit site
She is lovely.
I have 2 horses. 1 is an economical jumper the other gives everything a foot and a half. Economical jumps double clears 9/10 times. Flashy will try and knock down 9/10 jumps!!

Firewell

Visit site
Oooo you have a good eye for a horse! She is lovely, I am so glad you found the one :). I wish you all the luck in the world with her!

vam

Visit site
Oooo you have a good eye for a horse! She is lovely, I am so glad you found the one :). I wish you all the luck in the world with her!

Thank you, it is more luck than judgement! As long as I like riding it and it has all its limbs in the right place I'm happy, luckily my trainer saw her and liked her, at least she knows what she is looking at! ;)

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
I've not been on here for ages but saw this post and it made me really happy! So glad you've got a lovely new horse I'm sure you will have lots of fun together she looks great. What area are you in now? Hopefully I'll bump in to you at a show sometime x

vam

Visit site
I've not been on here for ages but saw this post and it made me really happy! So glad you've got a lovely new horse I'm sure you will have lots of fun together she looks great. What area are you in now? Hopefully I'll bump in to you at a show sometime x

Thank you, fingers crossed it all come good. I'm now in West Sussex so I think Pyecombe will be my local haunt. I'm a bit out of touch with what show centers are good now with so many closing.
I hope everything is ok with you, I haven't seen you on here for ages :)