Finally I have some respect!

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
Took Jerry out for a hack this afternoon, he has always been incredibly sharp to hack, gets distracted and spooks at everything, occasionally naps/rears (only a little bit though) and so you can see why I wasn't too impressed when the vet said hack him for a month! I have no problems riding green 4 yr olds everyday at work, and hacking them out for the first time etc... I get on and mean boss, and they listen and all is well. But I seem to have had some sort of block with Jerry, I don't ride him like I ride any other horse, I am constantly worrying that he is going to explode
crazy.gif

So today we set of, the first half an hour he was spooking at everything, but I just sat there calmly and talked to him, got through the dreaded village (just) and then hit a problem... there was a puddle... on the other side of the road! He dug his heals in and refused to go forwards. So I squeezed, resulting in a rear, spin canter off down the road type of response. I then decided I had had enough of this, if any other horse had done this then I would have brought them to a stop at the rearing point, not 20 yards down the road
blush.gif

So I got tough, he tried to rear again, and got a smack, his next response? He walked sweetly past the puddle and didn't spook once for the rest of the hack. Anytime he balked at anything, all I had to do was growl and he came back to me and walked nicely forwards. We got home feeling very pleased with ourselves. Its exactly how I would ride any horse from work, but I have never ridden Jerry like it, I am now in charge, and we will enjoy our hacks if its the last thing I do!

Sorry for the long post, very self indulgent
blush.gif

mickey

Visit site
I hate hacking when it's going wrong, horse spooking etc. But I love it otherwise, and I believe it is great for a horse to hack.
Well done, seems like you may be in for more pleasurable hacks from now on!!
grin.gif

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
Hopefully one day we will get to the point where we can hack on a loose rein
smirk.gif
I keep telling him it needn't be such hard work, if he was sensible, but at the moment if I give him the reins we fall over our own nose, so have to work the whole way round
grin.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
I know EXACTLY what you mean! When I got Lottie (WB) I was so scared of telling her what to do, it felt like she was going to explode. With all my others I would never think about it, just get on with it and give them a whack if they didn't. As soon as I got over that fear with Lottie everything fell into place
smile.gif

Glad you've got there with Jerry!