Finally I'm starting to believe we may be ok for Royal Cornwall!

jrp204

Visit site
Oh yeh, we saw R & M, Gucci did really well, they were rather mellow to say the least! They had their Texels from us. We dint see any horses! It was a fun filled, sheep filled day.

Queenbee

Visit site
How nasty!!:mad::mad: QB pays her money and takes her chance just like anyone else, so bloody what if she is stood down the line, as long as she enjoys her day and the horse goes well what business is it of anyone else? Shows like Royal Cornwall still need the support you know, and it's not like she has to qualify to be there. If you can't say something nice keep your trap shut.

The local shows seem to be dying out anyway and all round our way are qualifiers for god only knows what these days and have terrible judges and the judging is political, I would rather go to Heathfield as at least you get a decent judge who knows what they are looking at...

Typical attitude of a certain element of showing people.

QB go and enjoy your day.

Thank you :). You're right, we are going there for experience at that level more than anything, but totally agree, it's about the calibre of judging. Aunty g (yo) and I were saying today that apparently the small hack class at Devon county had something like 11 in, and the large hack only 2 turned up... I would rather be judged and placed properly, even without a rosette in a larger class than win a 2nd or 1st in a class of 2!

And on the subject of turn out, my friend who came 5th in novice riding horse, was in a class of 14, apparently about 2/3 rds of the class did nothing with their horses tails... No plaiting or pulling... Ben may not look as perfect as some of the others but I will be doing my very best to turn him out to the highest standard I can.

Oh yeh, we saw R & M, Gucci did really well, they were rather mellow to say the least! They had their Texels from us. We dint see any horses! It was a fun filled, sheep filled day.

Yes they did! Apparently M was in the West Briton today with Gucci. I don't know if you saw the thread the other day when I said my mate had got on her horse after 3 1/2 years of not riding... Apparently inspired by me! That was M. It was them that I stopped off to chat to, R was being flung around the pen by a young heifer! Ben stood there so chilled... Me, I hate cows and bulls and was quaking in my boots, even worse when R walked into gucci's pen and left the gate open... I'm going 'omg, omg he left the gate open!!!' And R & M are doing proper belly laughs at me:eek:

Known them both for years, but M has such a place in my heart, she didn't realise it was ebony who was poorly as she has only ever known my first name, she works at my vets and was gutted when she realised who's horse it was... She said she would have come out to be with me that day :(. She is a sweetheart that girl

justabob

Visit site
For goodness sake, can people not say it as it is anymore. QB stated that her horse might be ready for a big county show. I say it is not and never will be. To prepare a horse for such a show takes more than practicing doing a few plaits.

Queenbee

Visit site
For goodness sake, can people not say it as it is anymore. QB stated that her horse might be ready for a big county show. I say it is not and never will be. To prepare a horse for such a show takes more than practicing doing a few plaits.

So ok, state it as it is my dear... How exactly is Ben not suitable for that level? Ignore the plaits as these were a test run, to see if the main would plait evenly, if the rub would show and how he reacted to being plaited... Talk about the horse, criticise the horse if you will... But, say how he never will be. Back your claim up please... I'm not even disagreeing with you, I'm just interested in your basis for your point of view. Topline and condition wise please bear in mind he is a youngster... I'm sure the judges will.

What are your reasons...

Queenbee

Visit site
Oh come on justabob, don't be such a kill joy.

:D:p:rolleyes:

If JAB can tell me why... Then that is all good... Now JAB may think he won't be up to par because he has donkey ears, or because of his stonking feathers, perhaps it's because he is unshod:eek: or because his bum is just to sexy... I really don't mind criticism, as long as its either constructive, or not deliberately naive. Ben has been on a 5-6 day training schedule, fed a targeted diet, daily grooms, everything is being planned, practiced, and addressed bit by bit... So to just pick on plaiting which was clearly never an attempt at "the final look" is just a)unhelpful and b) silly. I'd more than welcome constructive criticism or logical arguments to back up a claim

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Ok QB out differences are well known but as I do have the experiance of being where you are to never being U placed at cl im going to post.

Plaits higher up will give him the impression of a thicker neck
For neatness plait wet and use a wet look gel. Yes smaller plaits also

Thoose fetlocks need attention if U have clippers use them, hoofs use a moisturizing hoof oil for a few days before

Trotting up fgs teach him a cue.. A click or hiss but something so he lifts off and goes and many wont like it but trot up in side reins and drive him on with your cue noise.

White bits...warm salt water with a good blue shampoo massaging in leave then rince. If he has yellow hocks etc boots do a spray on white hair dye...perfect.

Now before you snub me yet again please remember U started where you are ...and as of yet have never been un placed ridden or in hand with my coloureds.

justabob

Visit site
So ok, state it as it is my dear... How exactly is Ben not suitable for that level? Ignore the plaits as these were a test run, to see if the main would plait evenly, if the rub would show and how he reacted to being plaited... Talk about the horse, criticise the horse if you will... But, say how he never will be. Back your claim up please... I'm not even disagreeing with you, I'm just interested in your basis for your point of view. Topline and condition wise please bear in mind he is a youngster... I'm sure the judges will.

What are your reasons...

He is not a show horse, he has no top line, no quality, just a nice sort. But not a show horse. Do you think people that enter their horses at the level that you are aspiring to do, don't spend ages preparing their horses? They are produced. Yours is not. I have spent years of my life preparing horses for County Shows and it is not an easy task. Carry on QB and enjoy your day, but a County winner he is not.

Queenbee

Visit site
Ok QB out differences are well known but as I do have the experiance of being where you are to never being U placed at cl im going to post.

Plaits higher up will give him the impression of a thicker neck
For neatness plait wet and use a wet look gel. Yes smaller plaits also

Thoose fetlocks need attention if U have clippers use them, hoofs use a moisturizing hoof oil for a few days before

Trotting up fgs teach him a cue.. A click or hiss but something so he lifts off and goes and many wont like it but trot up in side reins and drive him on with your cue noise.

White bits...warm salt water with a good blue shampoo massaging in leave then rince. If he has yellow hocks etc boots do a spray on white hair dye...perfect.

Now before you snub me yet again please remember U started where you are ...and as of yet have never been un placed ridden or in hand with my coloureds.

Jh... No snubbing, I read part of your last paragraph... 'Now before you snub me'. Didn't need to read anymore because I knew from reading the rest of the post what I was going to say...

Thank you, your pointers are much appreciated and very helpful.

Plaits wise, they will be higher, I am hoping to do that on Wednesdays dummy run, now I know how calm he is when plaited.

Trotting, cue is click, he responds to me changing my tempo although I always automatically click so he responds to that too. We started on extension yesterday and he got that well. He's currently a bit tense whilst doing it... It's something new, but a day or two of practice and this will become the norm and he will relax.

He's a serious stain daemon hock wise, so those pointers help, I generally make my own x strong blue shampoo from purple spray, but any pointers always help, especially the white hair dye... Very good tip!

Feather wise, they are all coming off, do not worry! I'm just waiting on the moult to finish, then I can just take the few wispy bits from behind. Currently there is still a lot of winter coat and I don't want to take the clippers to it for fear of damaging the summer coat... But he has started to moult in earnest so I expect the next few days to be fluffy and then can work on those legs.

Hoof wise, I'm not one for hoof preparations, although with the dry weather, I started using Kevin bacon as of yesterday... For the show I will be using absorbine show lacquer.... Should give the hooves a nice moisten in the run up and the lacquer a nice sheen in the ring.

Yes we have our differences, but thank you, I do appreciate your post. X

Last edited:

Queenbee

Visit site
He is not a show horse, he has no top line, no quality, just a nice sort. But not a show horse. Do you think people that enter their horses at the level that you are aspiring to do, don't spend ages preparing their horses? They are produced. Yours is not. I have spent years of my life preparing horses for County Shows and it is not an easy task. Carry on QB and enjoy your day, but a County winner he is not.

So nothing constructive then...

No, I doubt Ben has any class or breeding... Probably bred by back end know nothing's as well ;)

Thanks for your input.

Interestingly...

I may not show at that level, but many around me do and they win, they are the ones pushing me to do this. Personally I don't care if I win or not... I never said I wanted to win.... But who are you to tell me I have no right to be there with my horse? When people are taking horses to Devon county in the riding club class with full un plaited and unpulled tails... Who are you to criticise me personally when other county show exhibitors seem to be putting a lot less into it than me? His topline is vastly improved... You obviously have not seen the changes and development... One of my past posts... And he has pronounced Whithers... Not a confo fault, but can be deceiving to the untrained eye when assessing topline;)

Anyway, if I want to go, I will... So there:p

And don't worry chicken.... We are moving on to jumping soon so you will be safe at your county shows :p :p

justabob

Visit site
So nothing constructive then...

No, I doubt Ben has any class or breeding... Probably bred by back end know nothing's as well ;)

Thanks for your input.

Interestingly...

I may not show at that level, but many around me do and they win, they are the ones pushing me to do this. Personally I don't care if I win or not... I never said I wanted to win.... But who are you to tell me I have no right to be there with my horse? When people are taking horses to Devon county in the riding club class with full un plaited and unpulled tails... Who are you to criticise me personally when other county show exhibitors seem to be putting a lot less into it than me? His topline is vastly improved... You obviously have not seen the changes and development... One of my past posts... And he has pronounced Whithers... Not a confo fault, but can be deceiving to the untrained eye when assessing topline;)

Anyway, if I want to go, I will... So there:p

And don't worry chicken.... We are moving on to jumping soon so you will be safe at your county shows :p :p

Enjoy your day. Never ask me to explain again as to how your horse is unsuitable for the show ring as you seem to know more than most.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
You are welcome. I got so many things wrong when I started out but half decent horses and being on the scene consistently did help. A horse that trots well and has a bit of life will do well. Don't be affraid to have to give him a tap with your cane, and keep in mind the time when you enter the ring to when you come out if line is a long time you have to keep him jazzed up.

You don't need extension just a decent trot with a horse carrying himself..ie impulsion.
when you stand in front of the judge you can grab a biy grass and hold it down
so he has an arch over the neck.

if you have a search now of the Devon county pics it should give you some pointers...think its a company called James pyne that does piccies

Lolo

Visit site
If it makes you feel better about your chances, Reg has the world's most mental legs, is covered in scars and has decidedly shuffly paces. He still excelled, by virtue of good manners, good schooling and a bit of charisma.

Queenbee

Visit site
Enjoy your day. Never ask me to explain again as to how your horse is unsuitable for the show ring as you seem to know more than most.

No, I just don't think you explained that well, just how much topline do you expect a four year old to have without doing damage to its skeletal system.... I refuse to Pessoa a horse to death, ride it in a constant outline... If you seriously think I have not been putting in the graft... Fine... But you have not seen the reality, you are however entitled to your opinion... I refuse to work a young horse into the ground for the gratification of a trophy and sash... This is his first year showing and its all about experience... Why on earth people think that they have any more right than another is utterly beyond me... No wonder it seems like an elitist club when there are snobs like 'some' people.

You've not really said anything constructive.

If you were tearing apart his confo... I'd understand, but as far as I can see it, he's got as much right as any other horse to be there.

His bloodlines are county winners and hoy placed.. I never planned to spend a life time showing but I'm damned if he won't make it into the ring for a spin because of someone who can't seem to back up their criticism.

Queenbee

Visit site
You are welcome. I got so many things wrong when I started out but half decent horses and being on the scene consistently did help. A horse that trots well and has a bit of life will do well. Don't be affraid to have to give him a tap with your cane, and keep in mind the time when you enter the ring to when you come out if line is a long time you have to keep him jazzed up.

You don't need extension just a decent trot with a horse carrying himself..ie impulsion.
when you stand in front of the judge you can grab a biy grass and hold it down
so he has an arch over the neck.

if you have a search now of the Devon county pics it should give you some pointers...think its a company called James pyne that does piccies

Yes, it is pyne... The other day the photos had not been uploaded but i will check again...I've been googling to hell and back to check out relevant pictures!

This week we are going to start practicing on grass, to stop him trying to lunge for it! He is pretty good at looking pretty when standing (being held) as he is obsessed with my hands... Likes to try and eat them so arches his neck nicely, although I'm going to keep something to hand incase he is a bit distracted by the whole jazz of the show!

I'm hoping he will be alert enough from just being there, but the tip about not being afraid to Tap him is good, nice to know I can if I need to!

I just plan to practice and plan all that I possibly can, as long as I'm as prepared as possible... Well that's all I can hope!

If it makes you feel better about your chances, Reg has the world's most mental legs, is covered in scars and has decidedly shuffly paces. He still excelled, by virtue of good manners, good schooling and a bit of charisma.

Ha ha... Ill have to hope bens clean legs save him then because I have this dreaded feeling we will have a foot stop strop in the ring! ;)

Last edited:

maisie06

Visit site
Good luck QB and enjoy your day. I have a little coloured horse whom we took to a very decent level show last year and was placed 3rd and 4th out of 12 and 15 in strong classes with lovely animals in due to his obedience and manners. We plaited up high with chunky plaits as he has a bit of a weedy neck, scrubbed him clean, pulled his tail to the max and trimmed it off a touch below his hocks, did his feathery bits on his fetlocks (actually he is very similar to your boy!!) Nothing we could do about the bump on his knee though! and although I never bought him to show, I took him for the experience and he surprised us!

One thing I did do though was to have him wearing a nice hunter bridle with a thicker noseband to break up his white face as he looked a little silly in a fine inhand style bridle.

Last edited:

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
QB, lovely to see the update. What I'm enjoying is seeing the process of preparation (the snide criticisms aside, of course) and the commitment and pleasure it's giving you. I take my hat off to you for the plaits, which might not be perfect, but are infinitely better than anything I can manage. Thankfully I don't show, and I dont have to plait either - a relief all round :eek:

Justabob your comments are worth just that; an apt name. For many of us, it's not about being the winner, it's the pleasure and fulfilment of improving ourselves and our horses.
QB please keep the updates coming - we can all learn from the process and the constructive suggestions, and enjoy sharing it. I hope the weather is going to be kind for the show :)

Queenbee

Visit site
Good luck QB and enjoy your day. I have a little coloured horse whom we took to a very decent level show last year and was placed 3rd and 4th out of 12 and 15 in strong classes with lovely animals in due to his obedience and manners. We plaited up high with chunky plaits as he has a bit of a weedy neck, scrubbed him clean, pulled his tail to the max and trimmed it off a touch below his hocks, did his feathery bits on his fetlocks (actually he is very similar to your boy!!) Nothing we could do about the bump on his knee though! and although I never bought him to show, I took him for the experience and he surprised us!

One thing I did do though was to have him wearing a nice hunter bridle with a thicker noseband to break up his white face as he looked a little silly in a fine inhand style bridle.

Thanks snorkey and Maisey, don't worry Maisey! We have plans to show him to hunter type... With a nice thick noseband... Anything else and he looks like his head has been pulled from ears to nose! ;) xx

JFTDWS

Visit site
For what it's worth, I took J in a county coloureds ridden years and years ago with zero preparation of note (other than a lot of bathing) and he was placed (6th maybe? Around there anyway) in a biggish class of 15ish. He beat many of the experienced, non-professional producers, despite being ridden and shown by me (it would be fair to say, I was so nervous being in the big ring I was just trying not to die - total passenger!) and everything being done on the cheap.

He's got sizeable scars on his hind legs, is conformationally duff (better than many traditionals, and I think he's perfect, but realistically cow hocked, close coupled and generally off whack), was a donkey to trot up (I certainly never practiced before rocking up there!) and resembled a camel during his ridden show... Oh and he wasn't fat either ;) We didn't exactly embarass ourselves, so I don't see the harm in you taking Ben out, given your comparatively extensive preparation for this showing lark.

Can't say it's an experience I ever want to repeat, though. Didn't buy a horse to run myself :p I digress...

Anyway, he looks good, and with neater, tighter, higher plaits, will look splendid. I gather he was not overly impressed though as he seems to be about to savage you with the whip in the final photo?

Queenbee

Visit site
For what it's worth, I took J in a county coloureds ridden years and years ago with zero preparation of note (other than a lot of bathing) and he was placed (6th maybe? Around there anyway) in a biggish class of 15ish. He beat many of the experienced, non-professional producers, despite being ridden and shown by me (it would be fair to say, I was so nervous being in the big ring I was just trying not to die - total passenger!) and everything being done on the cheap.

He's got sizeable scars on his hind legs, is conformationally duff (better than many traditionals, and I think he's perfect, but realistically cow hocked, close coupled and generally off whack), was a donkey to trot up (I certainly never practiced before rocking up there!) and resembled a camel during his ridden show... Oh and he wasn't fat either ;) We didn't exactly embarass ourselves, so I don't see the harm in you taking Ben out, given your comparatively extensive preparation for this showing lark.

Can't say it's an experience I ever want to repeat, though. Didn't buy a horse to run myself :p I digress...

Anyway, he looks good, and with neater, tighter, higher plaits, will look splendid. I gather he was not overly impressed though as he seems to be about to savage you with the whip in the final photo?

Lol! Pmsl! Yes I was in fear of a whipping :p. actually when he has something in his mouth he is much better so I gave him his third favourite treat. Food is first, chomping on me second, whips third :p

I agree, I'm not planning a show career, I have a few showing goals but, this is just one of them, to even go to rc and come out the other side... That's a goal. And without losing my baby girl last year I probably would have kept it a pipe dream. I just want to stand with him in the ring... That is my goal x

As soon as this blasted coat has gone, I can do the final tidy... I can't wait to see that... Will give me a real idea of how we will look!

It's exciting :D

SNORKEY

Visit site
Justabob its people like you that put me off showing. I have a very nice county level riding horse. But after one showing season I'd had enough. Stupid snobbery and miserable spoilt owners who were not happy unless bitching about someone next to them, or paying a well known face to sit on their horse so it qualified. Not all people at county level are like this, but enough are unfortunately. Since giving up I've started stewarding at some fun local shows, its such a delight to see children and adults just having fun and fussing over their horses even if they come last.
I'm going to start showing my coloured next year, and I hope the county level coloured shower's are more like QB than you, other wise I'm sticking to local level.
There's more to life, horses are for loving and enjoying, not just for picking up trophies.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have stranger and less plausible dreams than that with mine ;) Heck I'm the daft idiot who wants to event... On a pure bred highland... A highland whose knees I can kick when I'm riding him... :eek:

Just make sure the pro tog is doing their job properly and gets you lovely photos to remember the day by! :)

Queenbee

Visit site
He's looking great :)

When are you "on" at RCS? I'm going, so would love to see him in the ring!

Bumper... We are on in ring three at about 2.30, if anyone wants to come and see the monster in the flesh, up close and personal... You can come and catch up with us at the stable... Stop me drinking the hip flask of vodka I will be eyeing up lol! X

Queenbee

Visit site
Justabob its people like you that put me off showing. I have a very nice county level riding horse. But after one showing season I'd had enough. Stupid snobbery and miserable spoilt owners who were not happy unless bitching about someone next to them, or paying a well known face to sit on their horse so it qualified. Not all people at county level are like this, but enough are unfortunately. Since giving up I've started stewarding at some fun local shows, its such a delight to see children and adults just having fun and fussing over their horses even if they come last.
I'm going to start showing my coloured next year, and I hope the county level coloured shower's are more like QB than you, other wise I'm sticking to local level.
There's more to life, horses are for loving and enjoying, not just for picking up trophies.

Thank you :) I agree, bottom line, bens sire is by appledore marengo and also has Shaab in him... Bens full sister, doing very well, as is his sire, his dam... I have no idea how she is doing but was a perfect picture confo wise , bens breeders... Well known for producing winners...Ben... Win or lose is everything I could ever want after losing my girl and his bloodlines would never ever affect that... He could be some back end crapy breeders horse, and he could look like a cut and shut... He is mine and I love him to bits... I have no illusions, if I stood him next to my girl I could find more confo faults with him than her, but they are both good looking horses. I love to jump, eventing, xc and sj that's my thing. I aim and hope to win a specific ridden hunter class at local level next year... Other than that, getting to and making it through rc... Is my only showing aim, but pretentious people who seem to have forgotten that once upon a time they too were going to their first county level show irritate the hell out of me. Maybe their first cl wasn't so bad because mommy did it all... Maybe mommy still does since they seem unable to actually comment with any constructive insight or knowledge... But everyone has a first cl show... And I know I didn't have any horse prepared for me to take in there... I worked my ass off, with my baby who ive owned since he was six months old... I never cut corners and did it all myself, not even for my first show.

Queenbee

Visit site
I have stranger and less plausible dreams than that with mine ;) Heck I'm the daft idiot who wants to event... On a pure bred highland... A highland whose knees I can kick when I'm riding him... :eek:

Just make sure the pro tog is doing their job properly and gets you lovely photos to remember the day by! :)

JFTD... This mare was fab... Sadly ebs was so jealous she flipped every time I tried to ride her... She was my mums and mums back got so bad she could no longer ride, this was her second show, first show was the show I'm going to the first week of June and she came third out of 15! Anyway, her owner is on here, she posted a thread in pictures saying 'who says cobs can't jump'. That mare was and is a superstar jumper, she was and I'm sure still is super responsive on the flat, lovely outline and no question jumps anything bold as brass... If our old gypsy cob can do it... Your highland stag definatley can;)