Finally moving!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Just felt the need to share my great weekend, when for the first time ever my lovely horse decided to actually be forward in a test. Ok, so we are pottering about at the heady heights of prelim but his tests have been around 60% before, full of comments such as 'lacking inpulsion', 'needs to be more forward' etc.

Its been rather frustrating as he is a lovely horse, but feels the need to only do what he has to do. This has led to me over riding a bit (a lot sometimes!) and us getting stuck in a bit of a rut.

Well, he got a 3 week holiday september, i have jumped him a bit more than normal since i got back and have been very disciplined with myself and nagging (still a wip!).

So the warm up was a bog. He hated it. Things were not looking good. Off we go to the test arena, say hello to the judge, go for a trot around and ge chooses canter...this is new!!

Test was not perfect, his new found forward meant we lacked some bend. I have never been happier to see 'ran into canter' as a comment (he normally goes up and down on the spot!) and we broke canter at one point due to a complete lack of balance. Just over 67% with an 8 for our final mark! Good boy. Onwards and less upwards for the future. :)

And a grainy pic from a vid i am not brave enough to post. :)

12189996_10153128170660894_27644631453014341_n.jpg

Kati*89

Visit site
Well done! I too am waiting for that moment to come when we don't get lacking impulsion!
We got a little better at the weekend but I am still working too hard for that 5 mins!

tiggipop

Visit site
well done... i feel your pain.. i have a boy that is naturally backwards... but when he takes the handbrake off he can be amazing (at prelim / novice level!!) x x

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I was indeed at Wellie! Early morning so warm up was boggy and foggy. :) I admire the dtm people, i half thought about it, but dudnt have the patience to sort it out!

I feel for everyone with backwards horses. Its so irritating and i have tried a lot from feed (made him fat!) to different instuctors (some of which made him confussed!) but patience and fitness are seeming to be the key. I have no doubt that this is not yet 'cured', but its nice to know he will! :)

monte1

Visit site
I was indeed at Wellie! Early morning so warm up was boggy and foggy. :) I admire the dtm people, i half thought about it, but dudnt have the patience to sort it out!

LOL.... it was our debut and only third ever dressage test, so I was bricking myself. but i have to say it was brilliant fun!
I feel for you, I now have a rather tense horse, so although he is usually forward we struggle with that instead... there is always something ...

TheHairyOne

Visit site
LOL.... it was our debut and only third ever dressage test, so I was bricking myself. but i have to say it was brilliant fun!
I feel for you, I now have a rather tense horse, so although he is usually forward we struggle with that instead... there is always something ...

So I had a sneaky look at the pics and he looks great, but quite alert! :)

Looks a lot nicer than my 3rd test for sure and to music as well! Well done! :)

And thank you everyone else! He is a lovely boy, and if we never crack the dressage he jumps higher than i'd ever want to so we'll go eventing and have fun!

only_me

Visit site
Well done! In the past I've also had the pain of a horse that didn't go forward in a test.

I have found that doing a lot of walk to canter/ walk to medium canter transitions work very well when going around the arena - certainly puts them on their toes! :)

LiffWee93

Visit site
congrats on making progress, i too know the struggle of a horse you have to keep from having a nap on the job! it is so difficult to ride a test quietly when you have to do so much!
i found that completely taking my legs off, until they drop behind you - then a short sharp kick or tap with the whip just the once immediately sends them forward - on a long rein holding a neckstrap and meaning it - even if they canter off/have a strop, and repeat till you are blue in the face - it really worked for my idle pony, he ended up being super responsive, but never quick mind!!
i too had to warm up in the bog at welly, my little pony was up to her fetlocks in it and hated it too -- im sure she moved so well in the dukes hall because she all of a sudden could!! hahaha :)