Find lost Bridleways and Footpaths

jedjelly

Visit site
Not sure if this has already been posted elsewhere? Time is galloping on to make sure that Bridleways and Footpaths we use are added to the official register. If we could all spend 20 mins one evening, checking out our own area on the map it would really help.
Not all our Farmer friends are happy about this link, as many paths have slipped through the Council net over the years. We desperately need help to get horses off the roads. Stormy weather could be an ideal time, to grab a glass of wine, sit ourselves down and try and find a lost BW.

https://dontloseyourway.ramblers.org.uk/find-lost-ways/230643

SamBean

Visit site
BHS is another good resource for this, there is a huge section on their website to help and they also offer a free course. I went on the course last year and so much information, it was great. My local bridleway group is focusing on this too with the deadline for applications in 2026.

stormox

Visit site
I dont think we need to 'get horses off the roads' - they will hopefully always be allowed on them. Its more about finding historical routes that would otherwise be lost forever that horse riders can use in addition to the public road network.

Cob Life

Visit site
I can't get this to load :(
I'm really struggling as we only have our lane to go down, there are only foot paths so we can't use those, we have one bridle way which I can only access from summer grazing or along a 60mph road (which doesn't seem like a great idea on a horse not used to hacking!)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Lots of information on the Facebook page (no website) Horse Access Campaign UK. People from all over the country contribute and there is much very useful and interesting information.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I am the BHS Access Officer for North Hertfordshire and Stevenage and I am involved in getting a number of local routes recorded on the definitive map of Hertfordshire. The definitive map is the map on which all public rights of way are recorded and each County Council has one. If a route is not on it then after 2026 it will be lost forever. Most County Council's have an on line definitive map which one can check on any routes to determine if they are on it or if not. If a route that you are using is not on it then now is the time to do something about it. In the first instance you will need to get an evidence form made up for the route and then get previous and current users to fill it in. Your local BHS access officer can help you make up an evidence form so that you can then get the user evidence for that route. What the ultimate aim is to get local networks of bridleways so the riders have got the option of using off road routes to ride and exercise their horses along. If I can be of any further help then don't hesitate to contact me on peter.natt@btinternet.com