Find me a pony please HHOers...

Northern

Visit site
How exciting! Fingers crossed the vetting goes smoothly. Love the name Bear, fits him better than Teddy! I think he'll turn into a cracker and even better mover once those feet are sorted out :)

G&T

Visit site
One thing I would say about leaving pony with the seller for a month is you don't know what will be done with him, e.g. will he still be ridden/turned out (I've known dealers who just keep them in to avoid injury once sold). Also I think we all want to see pictures before 1st April!!

palo1

Visit site
I would certainly plan to get him here asap once vetting and possibly a deposit have been sorted. Full payment as appropriate. Even if just at grass livery, if that was convenient you could start to assess each other and start on the feet :) So exciting and wishing you all the best with the vetting!! :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
In the words of my vet, "Horses cope amazingly well with moving." And I moved a 26-year old to three barns in two and a half weeks. Provided vetting is successful, I think this wee guy will be fine at grass livery or whatever for a month. I would only leave at the seller's that long if seller was fairly local and I was paying livery. Weird sh*t happens. Read enough forums, you find threads about all sorts of stuff -- horses being vetted, then being sold out from under someone, who then has mega faff trying to rescue their deposit.... And it's obvious that he's not recieving proper foot care where he is. I'd want to get on that ASAP.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Get him on the boat as fast as you can if the vetting works out. A lot can happen in a month and unless I was buying from someone I knew personally and trusted completely I wouldn’t do it. His feet need fairly urgent attention and that alone would be enough for me to book his transport ASAP. Hope all goes well with the vetting ??

Michen

Visit site
The issue is he can't really go on grass livery as wherever he goes he will need to be stabled for a couple of weeks to be quarantined, can't just bung him straight in a herd off the lorry.

The retirement place where Bog is going can take him from 1st April and stable for first two weeks, then the two ponies can swap places when Bog goes there for field pen turnout and then proper turnout Mid May

xDundryx

Visit site
I would bring him over as soon as, those feet could potentially be left for another month and at least you know he would be fed looked after etc, I've had the experience of once they have your money everything else goes out the window...who knew horses still need fed etc until collection?!?

Michen

Visit site
I would bring him over as soon as, those feet could potentially be left for another month and at least you know he would be fed looked after etc, I've had the experience of once they have your money everything else goes out the window...who knew horses still need fed etc until collection?!?

He's being shod before this weekend, before vetting next week. Said I wouldn't bother vetting till feet are done. Seller really agreeable and helpful

Patterdale

Visit site

Exactly, theyre unlikely to spend a penny on him once they’ve got your deposit
I doubt it will do him any long term harm, but unless you know them I’d bring him over soon as.

Edited after seeing your reply

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Wow Im extremely impressed by your decision making Michen
He looks smart
Fingers crossed for the vetting
Love the name Bear
Will definitely posting some side shots on here of my Connie for some conformation critic!
Good luck X

Michen

Visit site
Ok think I’ve got livery sorted, will cost me a bit more than your bog standard full care grass livery but he can go in an individual paddock for a bit and then join the herd if I’m happy for him to be turned away or stayed in individual paddock if I want to do a bit of work with him on the roads before he comes to my yard with facilities mid May, once bog has gone.

of course the sensible thing to do would be to not get a horse until mid May. But that would be far too easy and straightforward so why not dive in head first and make things difficult ;)

Caol Ila

Visit site
Fair enough, re: feet. But I'd still hustle and find some way to bring him here ASAP. Maybe it will all be fine, but I trust the horse world not at all to not be doing shady stuff.

Edited: Just seen Michen's above post. Good stuff.

Michen

Visit site
Fair enough, re: feet. But I'd still hustle and find some way to bring him here ASAP. Maybe it will all be fine, but I trust the horse world not at all to not be doing shady stuff.

Have hustled see above!

would have been much easier if I hadn’t seen anything I really wanted to buy until May ? I’m consoling myself by saying horses will be more expensive but then at his age as further along in the training ;)

Sheep

Visit site
Fingers crossed for vetting!! Whereabouts is he? If he's anywhere near Wicklow / Wexford I had a pretty good experience dealing remotely with a vet down there for our most recent acquisition. :)

Michen

Visit site
Fingers crossed for vetting!! Whereabouts is he? If he's anywhere near Wicklow / Wexford I had a pretty good experience dealing remotely with a vet down there for our most recent acquisition. :)
He’s in Ballinamore county leitrim any vet recommendations welcome

Michen

Visit site
Ahhh I’m excited nervous and sad all at the same time.

I really hope I’m doing the right thing, on every level e.g this pony, a Connemara, getting another...Choosing to buy over loaning etc.

I would feel a lot more settled about it if this was happening in April/May and but hey ho. What’s a few weeks eh...

If a stable comes up at my yard before mine is free and Bog and Bear are there at same time I’m really not sure Bog will ever, ever forgive me though!!!!

Bay Connie number 3 here we go.

Broodle

Visit site
Oh cool! Tell me about him :)

Well.... He's currently broken!!! But only after doing something daft in the field ?

He moves brilliantly for a connie, has a fabulous jump, and a really lovely temperament. Can be looky and can buck a bit when excited, but is on nearly all levels your perfect easy allrounder.

I worship him! Hope yours is as nice ?

Ps mine has connie hocks too...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
YAY! I really prefer the way this one has been trained, forward onto the contact, no fuss, natural paces (apart from naff feet). I would suspect that he is not quite as easy to ride as that rider makes him look, but that is all part of the game.

Glad you are shoeing, vetting and bringing straight home. I would not leave him there any longer than necessary.

Bogsil Bear looks Ace fun!!!