Finding a future dressage horse (Welsh Cob!)

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hi all,

Not sure whether this is the best place or TR. Just looking for the forumites who have Welshies and do dressage, I am looking to the future - in the next few years I'll be looking at getting a youngster so I can retire Saf. I really want to concentrate on progressing in dressage, but I'm also adamant I want another Welsh Cob to do it on. Whilst idly looking through various classifieds, there are of course plenty of horses on there boasting a good showing competition record, or from great showing lines, but I would like to know if there are any particular lines suited to dressage (I have zero interest in showing). Or are there any studs out there known for producing nice dressage Welshies? Any feedback / thoughts appreciated

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Not sure re dressage breeders of Welsh cobs, although I'm sure someone will be able to help you. However, I don't blame you, you can't beat a good welsh cob and with good confirmation and correct training I think they are capable of going up through the levels fairly easily.

Good luck!

kc100

Visit site
The only Welsh Cob that I have heard about recently *I'm sure there are plenty* is Cardi, the Welsh Cob stallion who has made it to GP! They are based in America though so dont know how many of his offspring will end up over here? http://www.winterlakewelsh.com/

Or maybe something like this would suit? http://www.welshsporthorses.com/youngstock.html
The one they currently have for sale called WSH CARAFE sounds like he would be a good mix with great dressage WB bloodlines (Donnerhall in there a way back) and then your welsh blood in there too.

I'd look at some of the Welsh studs and maybe give them a ring to see if they can help you - they will know better than anyone what their horses go on to do in later life so might be able to advise on a particular stallion or mare that they have who produces great dressage offspring. Or alternatively look for a welsh x wb so you get the dressage breeding from the WB hopefully with the qualities you like from the welsh.

Hope this helps and enjoy horse shopping!

Lgd

Visit site
A lot of the so called Dutch Riding Ponies are either pure Welsh D or New Forest Pony by bloodlines. Bred to more of a sport type and there are studs who breed to that type.
My friend is selling her Welsh D mare due to lack of time but the mare is being sold as a BYRDS/potential FEI pony (she measures in as a pony by half a cm) and is working at medium level. Mare has a seriously good canter and walk, trot not too far behind. Too sporty in type to show as a Welsh D though. Much lighter framed, more uphill and athletic compared to show type.

Her prefix is Rangehill so presume that is the breeder.

My trainer's older sister took a Welsh D to PSG level.

miss_c

Visit site
I have two welsh cobs - Genie is unregistered and just came 2nd at Novice at Area Dressage (my post is somewhere in CR!), and the new girl was bred by the Cathael Stud. She had her first outing ever at area dressage and came 11th, I'm very excited about her at the moment!

trendybraincell has a lovely D who is competing at Medium. Go for something with a trainable attitude - if Genie had a good attitude then we would be so much more advanced than we are now! The new girl is fabulous in that respect!

Lambkins

Visit site
I have a thorneyside cob .. And he can piaffe at the drop of a hat ;) his changes are pretty good too .. Very trainable and easy on the eye :)
image_zps3a302233.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'd just pick something with nice looking parents and decent looking confo which seems trainable and nice.

But yay for youngstock buying :)

rara007

Visit site
The only requirements for NRPS (dutch ponies of riding type) is to be PBA- mine is 70% arab, 20% tb and 10% welsh, so you do have to check the bloodlines- he's fab but very different from a welsh in temperament and looks. I think anything that moves straight, but is not too flashy would be good :) There's quite a few studs breeding the sporty lighter weight ones, D'Abernon for example. Thorneyside have some fab ponies, though the ones I know through driving are very flashy and really quite hot for the average dressage aims.

angelish

Visit site
i had a hillgarth welshy that flew straight upto novice within 6 months after being rebacked , he was quite sharp and flashy but really genuine and trainable this is his breeding
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/hillgarth+rio+bravo

[=http://s930.photobucket.com/user/angelish2010/media/IMG_1168_zps229ffa94.jpg.html]
IMG_1168_zps229ffa94.jpg
[/URL]

not me riding :eek:
[=http://s930.photobucket.com/user/angelish2010/media/022-2.jpg.html]
022-2.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

star

Visit site
I've got 2 Welshies. One I got at 15 and took to Medium. He was 4th at petplan novice champs. The other I got at 5 and trained to Medium from nothing in 2yrs. He was just learning changes when he was diagnosed with OCD in both stifles so he doesn't do dressage anymore. He was fairly easy to train at home but his brain couldn't cope with the competition environment.
First one was Llanarth bred. Second was Sydenham but grandsire on both sides Llanarth Lloyd George. I'd definitely look at Llanarth for paces suitable for dressage.

Madali

Visit site
Try Maesmynach stud. I have had three directly from them. All completely fab. They are a more sporty stamp than normal and fairly sharp. Sadly we lost one in a freak accident. She was great at dressage. My 8 year old events at Novice and I am just backing my three year old. Taking her off for her first dressage out in two weeks. Will give you an update after the event

freyaandrogue

Visit site
I second Maesmynach!
I have a maesmynach and he's fab :) he's a sporty stamp and is 16.2hh (I've lost count of the number of people asking me what type of warmblood he is ;) ) but he definitely has the welsh personality and attitude! He can be sharp but he is hugely talented, he finds the lateral stuff easy and he's been doing changes since he was backed! He's a fab jumper too :)

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have a Welsh Cob competing Ele/Med (and winning) and working Adv/PSG. My trainer says he'll definitely be able to do all the GP moves (just starting piaffe).
He's def the more 'sports' type than traditional Welsh Cob, he has a VERY good walk and canter. He's built uphill for sure. I've also got a 2yo colt who will hopefully go on to do BD. He's from the Taraco Stud. I made sure he had a good walk (big overtrack) as a lot can be too stuffy.

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/Claire842/media/victor_zpsd0f3180f.jpg.html

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/Claire842/media/victor5_zps2841a7bb.jpg.html

This shows hows he's built uphill....

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/Claire842/media/Victor/093.jpg.html

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the replies - so many scrummy Welshies *swoon* I'm loving all the photos so do keep posting them :) Good to have some names to start googling. I'm not totally sure how young I'm looking for, ideally it would be something backed and riding away, as I'm not sure I could be backing it myself. JFTD I am totally taking you with me to view some whenever that is :D Should add that I'm not after anything staggeringly tall, Saf is 14.2hh on her tip toes which suits me fine, though wouldn't mind something around the 15hh mark I wouldn't want to go much taller.

Last edited:

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I have two welsh cobs - Genie is unregistered and just came 2nd at Novice at Area Dressage (my post is somewhere in CR!), and the new girl was bred by the Cathael Stud. She had her first outing ever at area dressage and came 11th, I'm very excited about her at the moment!

trendybraincell has a lovely D who is competing at Medium. Go for something with a trainable attitude - if Genie had a good attitude then we would be so much more advanced than we are now! The new girl is fabulous in that respect!

Thanks! Miss C was one of the ones I was thinking off, along with trendybraincell's :) I have no history on Saf either, which is annoying since she's a lovely girl (bit bonkers in her youth!) very trainable and willing, we've just left it a bit late (she's 19). Such a shame as I could happily get a relative of hers but not to be. I did see your post the other day - well done :D Always love reading your posts, though I'm a bit of a lurker!

Edit: OMG your new girl looks a bit of a Saf - cream forelegs! :D

Last edited:

taimargilbert20

Visit site
Hii I ride for a lady who has two that are both out of the Nebo lines. One is currently working at novice and aiming to go up to intermediate and the young one I ride is working at prelim and my instructor has said he has the potential to go all the way. He's also a cracking jumper as well so he could be good at both.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/taimargilbert/610131002.jpg
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/tai...186725300511_223546694_n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/tai...84171570511_1999356256_n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=16
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/taimargilbert/media/Snapshot116-08-201322-35.png.html?sort=3&o=36

x

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Sorry for bringing this back up, but I've got this on the brain again!

Thanks for all the breeding lines suggestions, very helpful. I am now thinking - where to I start looking? I have very little experience in buying horses since my 4 I happened to bump into them, I've never actually gone looking for a horse! Where's best to start? I'd be looking for either an unbroken 3 year old, or a young one back and ridden away.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm working with a 4 yr old currently that, while he can be a bit "carriage-y" when he is tight or tired, shows promise in his movement and way of going. He also seems to have an inclination to do passable half steps - sitting not strung out like most - when he is excited. I know he literally came off the hills from a breeder but I will find out from the owners how he is bred and where they got him and pass the info along. I don't really have an opinion on Welsh Ds one way or the other but I would look at this horse for at least amateur dressage just on the basis of the raw material.

Jango

Visit site
Yay for Dressage Welshies!! My boy is from the Morlena Stud and he isn't very typey welsh looking, but he has good balanced paces and a fantastic attitude! Here we are at the Petplan AFs this year, we came 4th and we're off to nationals in April - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151538606867115&l=7062fe5797

Most Welshes are quite athletic, so I think the main thing to look for is one that isn't too spooky/silly!

Bigbenji

Visit site
Come over to Herts and see my two. The bay has a very straight but flashy pace (Thorneyside lines) and the buckskin (Danaway line) has more knee action. Completely different breeding and it's interesting to see.

rowy

Visit site
I think, having owned a welsh x who had the ability to go far in dressage but mentally really didn't want to do it, I would say finding a welsh with the right mental attitude for dressage is really important.
My welsh x Appaloosa I was hoping to get to psg level with but as we got to novice level and started schooling elem/ medium it became very apparent his brain was elsewhere when we were schooling and we made minimal progress. He was very lazy (yet was forward when jumping and hacking) and each movement was an effort.
In comparison, my Connemara x absolutely loves it. Her schooling has already progressed past his (balance and well execution of novice level movements) and she is only 4 1/2 years.
I'm not saying don't get a welsh but just that the temperament is really really important, probably more so than the paces.

Badders

Visit site
I absolutely love both the welsh and the part breds, we used to bred a few ourselves and years ago stood a welsh D of old Llanarth lines. For competition imho, those old lines can't be bettered, they take some searching for, but they are about. There are lots in the Sydenham lines and also Kentchurch as both studs actively sought those old bloodlines. I think Kentchurch Chime reached Grand Prix in the US, though I might be remembering wrongly. It's been years!
As a generality you could look for studs that year after year produce ridden champions. There are names you see again and again and you tend to find the Studs producing ridden winners are the ones interested in breeding cobs with the mental ability to cope with competing. Menai Stud comes to mind, Minyffordd, Paith and Saith, Synod and Nebo are all studs you should look up. Murreyhall (sp?), Janton, Broughton and Durris, they bought quite a few lovely Sydenham mares.
That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's lots more! :D