Finding a home for a horse with sarcoids.

cblover

Visit site
I’ve made the decision or rather my poor health has, that I am no longer able to have a horse. I’m ok with that but need to find a good home for Lulu.
She has sarcoids and I’m aware her monetary value is low but that is irrelevant to me, my only concern is a good home.
How would you go about getting her a safe, long term home? Sarcoids aren’t an exciting prospect but she deserves love and care, just like we do. Any thoughts?

HelenBack

Visit site
As above but I see loads of adverts where it's mentioned that the horse has or has had sarcoids and they give the necessary information on them and just reflect them in the price. I don't think it would put me off necessarily so long as they weren't bothering the horse.

I did go to see one with a couple the other week and it wasn't the fact that he had them that bothered but the fact that she hadn't told me and was clearly trying to hide the fact. When I questioned her on it she said she'd asked the vet about treating them and he'd told her they'd be pretty easy to get rid of but she hadn't bothered. There were other issues with that horse and I didn't like the fact that she'd lied to me so I walked away. I think so long as you're honest though you'll be fine.

cblover

Visit site
I’ve owned her twice, so at 6 when I sold her she had non but buying her back at 9 she has. I’d just lost Sox to grass sickness, got the chance to buy her back and really was in no fit state to make that decision. Hey ho! Here we are. She has had a big lump removed from her chest and small ones have started to come back. One removed from the list of her leg and that’s stayed away. The others are around the insides of her hind legs but flat to the skin. They don’t bother her at all and non are where tack would go. I keep applying Thuja cream daily to manage them.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Many people will buy with sarcoids, for me that would be at a reduced price taking into account the risk. I’d price appropriately and try to sell and see what happens? If you get really stuck, I’m sure you’d be able to put her out on loan if that would work in your circumstances? There may be people who’d be prepared to take on loan and apply cream that might not wish to buy the risk?

rara007

Visit site
I would probably knock 25% off her value, if that tbh. But obviously that depends on the location and behaviour of the sarcoid. There’s people that won’t touch them with a barge pole- you won’t give her away to them, and others happy to take a gamble/don’t have the budget for what they want in ‘perfect’.

cblover

Visit site
She’s 10, 15hh and a Clyde x Welsh D. Beautiful to look at, backed by me at 4, hacked for a couple of years and logged in forests when I sold her. I haven’t ridden her much since I got her back last March. I’d be happy to minimum money exchanged hands in exchange for a good home.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
She’s 10, 15hh and a Clyde x Welsh D. Beautiful to look at, backed by me at 4, hacked for a couple of years and logged in forests when I sold her. I haven’t ridden her much since I got her back last March. I’d be happy to minimum money exchanged hands in exchange for a good home.
Trouble is that especially for minimum money when buying from you , she will be sold on for profit.
Would you be in a position to loan her ? That wag you'd maintain a say on where she is.