Finding a new livery yard

FiandP

New User
Visit site
Me (along with several other liveries) have just been given our notice to leave our current yard by the end of August as they are focusing on the RS side of the business and need the stable space.

I've messaged some stables in the local area and made arrangements to go have a look at two places but what should I be asking when I go? Is there anything I should be looking out for? I'm looking for a mix of assisted/full livery if that makes any difference.

P is my first horse, I bought him from this yard so I have never navigated a yard move before. I really relied on them for advice and assistance too so feeling a bit daunted about the idea of going out into the world on my own so really any advice anyone can give will be appreciated!

ahml100

Visit site
I have just been in a similar situation, moving area so need new livery.
What I found helped me was writing a list of two columns, one for things that were must haves and one for things I was willing to compromise on. I have managed to find a super yard but did have to compromise on certain things but it did mean I got the must haves.
With any prospective YO/YM talk through what you want and need and see if it works with their current model or would be simple for them to do.

teapot

Visit site
Yard rules
Access times
Can you use your own vet/farrier/physio/coach etc
What's provided hay/bedding wise, do you have to use it
What's turnout actually like
Security for tack
Yard staff cover
Arena use/bookings

Fieldlife

Visit site
Winter turnout and winter hacking. Do fields drain well or get boggy? Is there turnout all winter?

How well is school / fields / fencing maintained?

Fire sign

Visit site
The first and most important thing to do is to make a list of what you and your horse must have

For example these are my must haves

Distance from my house no more than eight miles
Individual turnout in the daytime including in the winter
Large airy stable
Hay not haylage
The opportunity to soak hay if I need to
An arena of a reasonable size and with a safe suitable surface
Somewhere to hack to from the yard
A yard owner with experience who can help me manage my horse if I have a problem
A yard with horse transport who can help me if my horse needs taking somewhere
Part livery and DIY assisted options at reasonable prices
Flexibilty to strip graze paddock using my own electric fencing

Yours might include an on site instructor or permission to use your own if you have one ?

You might want to go somewhere where you already know some of the liveries ?

You might want or need herd turnout or twenty four hour turnout in the summer ?

You might want somewhere that has a farm ride ?

You might want a yard where you can keep your horse in a lot in the winter because they are prone to mud rash ?

You may have a grey horse and would want to have the use of use of a hot horse wash and solarium

You may be looking at yards that have restricted turn out in the winter ...and if they do then a horsewalker or turn out pens would be very important

So start with your list .... and good luck !

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
What do you do with your horse? Do you need a school with jumps, a dressage arena, space to park a trailer or good hacking?
What part of the country are you looking in? Someone on here might be local to you and able to suggest somewhere.

st_marks

Visit site
I like to ask a couple questions about the general demographic of the other liveries - is it mostly adults, mostly kids, competition riders, happy hackers?

I also try whenever possible to tour or stop by at the time of day I'm usually going to be there, and ask when the place is busiest and how busy it gets.