Finding a really good reliable dog boarder

eahotson

Visit site
As above.I have used one or two.They all start off by being really good then change.Start taking in too many dogs etc.She came back from one with a serious injury to her eye.Have Any organizations that really check and keep standards up? Don't mind what I pay so long as dog happy safe and cared for.

LHIS

Visit site
A good boarder / kennels are hard to come by. I use kennels myself, just because my pooch can be a little unpredictable and so I feel kennels are safer. I use a kennels in just outside Lancaster, and we drive up there from Cheshire to take her. She loves it there and all the staff love her.

SadKen

Visit site
My two go to a good kennels near us (Park Lane which is just outside Chester). We boarded our old dog with a family once, which seemed like a great solution - however, we are fairly convinced that they tried to breed from him while he was there (he was a gorgeous 5 gen GSD from Germany). So since then, they go to Park Lane, and they don't usually want to come home. My younger lad put on 2kg last time (and I have posted repeatedly about the trouble I've had trying to put weight on him) so he must have been happy!

wren123

Visit site
I had a lovely woman, she was a veterinary nurse at my local vets, my dog loved going to her, she went to work with her all day and I knew any health problems would be treated approriately. Sadly she emigrated:( I found her by asking at the vet reception.

Micky

Visit site
Word of mouth either through dog groomer or training classes..I take dogs in myself but only 2 at a time, as you can give them the one to one attention they deserve plus i have two of my own and i have the time to give them a good walk/run twice a day for 45mins...not 15 like some places local to me do ( and charge the earth to boot!)

wren123

Visit site
Even then you cannot rely on it. I found a new one through a friend of a friend, nice woman etc., however when I picked up, for various reasons I was not happy at all.

Luckily a friend who has lost her dog and doesn't want the commitment of another one is having mine next, fingers crossed it works out. If it doesn't I would rather my dog go to a highly recommended kennel than have the experience I had last time.

Visit site
Mine goes to lady who only takes in one at a time. I am really struggling about putting him in when I go on holiday purely because of
his pancreatitis problem. I am sure they will look after him as always but they don't know your dog like you do. I instantly know when he is not quite right. The really good boarders are the ones you cant get into because they are always booked !

MyOldPony

Visit site
Even then you cannot rely on it. I found a new one through a friend of a friend, nice woman etc., however when I picked up, for various reasons I was not happy at all.

Luckily a friend who has lost her dog and doesn't want the commitment of another one is having mine next, fingers crossed it works out. If it doesn't I would rather my dog go to a highly recommended kennel than have the experience I had last time.

Dare I ask what you where not happy with? Im looking to use a boarding service and would like to know what to look out for? I have only used kennels but would like to try a home service.

wren123

Visit site
Two things I wasn't happy with, firstly shortly after I picked her up, when I raised my hand to pat her she cringed as if she was expecting a slap, absolutely no proof, but I have never had her do this before and she has been left with people before.
Secondly I said not to over exercise her, she has a five mile walk everyday off the lead, very, very occasionally she can get a little lame in front, the vet thinks it is a soft tissue injury that she irritates going over rough ground she is insured but vet doesn't think it worth investigating further as it is so slight and he has ruled out a lot of problems. When I picked her up she commented that she was very stiff in the mornings on her hind legs at first, and she was very stiff getting up. She has never had stiffness on her hind legs even we go walking in Northumberland in the hills for all day hikes! So I hate to think how much running she must have done, I was very cross about this my previous lab had to be put down due to bad hips, albeit at 14 and she only suffered very late in her life, but I am very fussy about my dog and how much exercise she does and how it affects her and I specifically said please don't do too much exercise and she is not a mad dog even if she doesn't walk.

CAYLA

Visit site
I home board and im fully booked year in and out, I would share some pictures of the dogs I board having a blast (but I cant remember how to upload) is it still from photo bucket?

stargirl88

Visit site
I home board too - normally now just get recommendations so I think that would be your best bet - my local groomer recommends me too so perhaps start there (yes I only take in one dog at a time!!).
It's really hard, I'm looking for someone as my usual lady is fully booked, but knowing how flippin dodgy people can be I'm struggling too! Alternatively you could have someone board your dog in your own home - then you know that there will only be one dog there and they will get all the attention!! (there is a website dedicated to this somewhere)

wren123

Visit site
Please dont lump all home boarders in one pot.....

Not at all, I used my previous woman for years and was very happy with her, and I had another person before that. The previous poster did ask what issues I had with the last person.:)

teacups

Visit site
Not at all, I used my previous woman for years and was very happy with her, and I had another person before that. The previous poster did ask what issues I had with the last person.:)

Well, actually in your original post you said:
'I have used one or two.They all start off by being really good then change.Start taking in too many dogs etc.'
but I'm glad to hear you've had some good experiences too!

wren123

Visit site
Well, actually in your original post you said:
'I have used one or two.They all start off by being really good then change.Start taking in too many dogs etc.'
but I'm glad to hear you've had some good experiences too!

where did I say that?

MyOldPony

Visit site
Two things I wasn't happy with, firstly shortly after I picked her up, when I raised my hand to pat her she cringed as if she was expecting a slap, absolutely no proof, but I have never had her do this before and she has been left with people before.
Secondly I said not to over exercise her, she has a five mile walk everyday off the lead, very, very occasionally she can get a little lame in front, the vet thinks it is a soft tissue injury that she irritates going over rough ground she is insured but vet doesn't think it worth investigating further as it is so slight and he has ruled out a lot of problems. When I picked her up she commented that she was very stiff in the mornings on her hind legs at first, and she was very stiff getting up. She has never had stiffness on her hind legs even we go walking in Northumberland in the hills for all day hikes! So I hate to think how much running she must have done, I was very cross about this my previous lab had to be put down due to bad hips, albeit at 14 and she only suffered very late in her life, but I am very fussy about my dog and how much exercise she does and how it affects her and I specifically said please don't do too much exercise and she is not a mad dog even if she doesn't walk.

I see. I guess that could also happen in a kennel as a friend of mine left her dog in a kenel and it snapped it's cruciate joint/muscle or something in her leg when jumping up and down at the bars. I will have to do some home work and see what I can find.