Finding a suitable pony for a child

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Im not in any riding clubs so out of the loop and would be way down the waiting list for the sort of ponies that go by word of mouth. Tentatively starting to look for a pony suitable for a complete beginner but a first ridden rather than lead rein as hoping to keep it for a while and am well aware its easier to find a lead reiner than a first ridden. Im in Bucks so would rather not have to drive too far but again, for the right pony. If anyone can recommend any places to look that would be fab

maya2008

Visit site
What sort of size? When we were looking we found they went like hot cakes: ad went up, five minutes later queue of 10+ people waiting to view, a day later = sold! Our pony is great on the lead, a first ridden if she likes you, a second/third ridden otherwise! She has taught my son to ride really really well though.

After how hard it was to find her (and she is no saint, has her moments for sure when the kids don’t listen and she decides to teach them a lesson!) we decided to buy our next step up as a youngster from a decent stud and I am ‘making’ her myself. No cheaper in the long run, but easier. We were so lucky to get the little pony we did, no guarantee we would be that lucky again!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
We have been through this from both sides. We found our unicorns and when it came time to find new families we had our pick to choose from.

Bit of advice on when you are buying - don’t be a tool! Just because you “asked first” or called up first it does not give you first right of refusal. Don’t be pushy. We will sell to the best family not the first one with money.

Make sure your little angel has a few manners and doesn’t look like a petulant little turd when you turn up to view the pony. Not going to sell to a kid that looks like it will crack it at the pony if it doesn’t go her way all the time.

Dont pick holes in the pony thinking you are negotiating the price down to your budget. Shop in your budget only and if you think the pony won’t suit your little darling, excuse yourself and move on. We don’t want to waste our time either.

Shay

Visit site
Echo the reccomendations to approach Pony Club. Your local DC will know who in thier branch might be looking to move on. They will give you an honest assessment of the pony - becuase if they don't you are going to end up in thier branch and they will get it in the neck. They have great connections to other branches etc.

Don't rule out loan / share either. There are massive advantages to this. The good ponies are sometimes not sold becuase they are beloved family pets, or they are on hold waiting for the next child who is not quite there yet. If they don't suit for some reason they have a home to go back to - and even if they do suit and child falls massively in love when it is time to move on it is easier knowing that pony has a secure home and will go on to the next carefully chosen child. But just as with buying - there will be a waiting list and as Bonnie says - the owner will choose who they like.

minesadouble

Visit site
I found my kids first pony on preloved. He had been to RIHS as a first ridden and been used for LR too. By the time my girls were ready to ride off lead he had decided he preferred the lead rein job so we had to look for another pony. (In fairness to him he was 20 by then and I think he'd.decided he'd taught enough kids to ride... Can't say I blame him=,. He's now on loan to the farm over the hill in a lead rein role).

I found my older daughter's perfect pony on Horsequest and my younger daughter's by messaging a local pony club coach I know and asking if she knew of anything suitable.

Good Luck, these little gems are hard to find.