Finding Broodmares

Arigon

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking around for a broodmare for loan and can't seem to find any. This will be the first foal I have bred for myself, I'm very excited! :D Although a newbie at breeding I do have experienced people at hand and the Royal Vet College down the road.
Does anyone know where the best place is to look?
I'm happy to take the mare over the winter, I have use of stables and plenty of grazing plus plenty of time on my hands :)
I'm open to any advice and suggestions, thank you :)

Arigon

Visit site
I’m hoping to breed a horse for myself that is a capable all rounder, with good movement as my interest is in dressage, although I do like to pop the occasional fence, so would also like some jumping lines :)

GPF

New User
Visit site
black St Pr Mare by Donnerhall

bay Mare by Sandro Hit x Rubinstein

would they be interesting for you ? Please pm.

Woodykat

Visit site
Hi, I too am looking for a broodmare, pref to loan (OP sorry for hijacking, but you've written exactly what I was going to!)
Please feel free to pm me anyone, thanks :)

velv

Visit site
I have a race bred throughbred too if your interested, she produced a cracking foal this year got 8.82 in futurity by primitive star. pics on my profile.

savia

Visit site
Hi,

I also have a TB mare available by racing stallion Tina's Pet who evented in her youth if anyone would be interested?

rsc

Visit site
I have 2 TB mares who I have not put in foal this year due to lack of funds but would consider putting them on loan to the right person. They are both SHB GB graded one main other Head studbook, raced and are proven broodmares. Pm me for more details.

koeffee

Visit site
i have found it really easy to find mares on loan this year?!!!! have 3 now, 2 i put in foal and im sat waiting for transport now to deliver my new infoal mare whos owners cant cope with an infoal mare any longer, mare is now with me indefinately and the foal will be mine. very well bred and im getting really excited now to meet her!!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
It sems awful not to be enthusiastic towards your plans but this sounds a very strange way of breeding a horse for yourself.
You won't have ridden the mare to know if she's what you like, and it's no good having a potential list of stallions without the faintest idea of whether they may suit whatever you get on loan.
Breeding at the moment is going through the worst time I can recall.
Horse sales are bringing dreadfully low prices (some well bred brood mares made around £350 last week) and many of us breeders are cuting down or leaving our mares empty until things pick up.
You would do far better to try and get a bargain youngster from one of the established studs, where they will allow you a sit on their stock if you are capable enough, so you know what you're buying in their offspring.
I hesitated before replying in such a pessimistic fashion but you have said you are a newbie, so I hope you take my advice in the spirit it's meant (and no, we haven't got any youngsters for sale, so it is unbiased)

Arigon

Visit site
I do take the advice in good spirit :) I'm not breeding a foal to sell nor do I wish to make money out of breeding horses, in fact money has nothing to do with it, I simply wish to breed my own for self satisfaction, I already have 4 professionally bred horses. As for decisions on stallions, nothing is set in stone; I just have personal preference on certain bloodlines, doesn't everyone?

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I do take the advice in good spirit :) I'm not breeding a foal to sell nor do I wish to make money out of breeding horses, in fact money has nothing to do with it, I simply wish to breed my own for self satisfaction, I already have 4 professionally bred horses. As for decisions on stallions, nothing is set in stone; I just have personal preference on certain bloodlines, doesn't everyone?

1stly I agree on the youngster front - loads of really nice ones about especially this time of the year but........there is nothing more exciting and rewarding than to breed your own from choosing the stallion to them actually arriving, through to inhand showing and eventually backing. I bred for my own mare last time and have a beautiful 3yr old, this time I have loaned from someone on this forum and the mare has had two very nice foals also was successful competing.

Goodluck in your search and I am sure you will find a lovely mare.

jeeve

Visit site

In bred 2 foals myself, it was expensive, in that it would have been cheaper to go out and buy a well bred ISH than too breed one. But I did get two lovely foals, unfortunately geldings by Kings County (IRE).

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
In bred 2 foals myself, it was expensive, in that it would have been cheaper to go out and buy a well bred ISH than too breed one. But I did get two lovely foals, unfortunately geldings by Kings County (IRE).

"It sems awful not to be enthusiastic towards your plans but this sounds a very strange way of breeding a horse for yourself.
You won't have ridden the mare to know if she's what you like, and it's no good having a potential list of stallions without the faintest idea of whether they may suit whatever you get on loan.
Breeding at the moment is going through the worst time I can recall.
Horse sales are bringing dreadfully low prices (some well bred brood mares made around £350 last week) and many of us breeders are cuting down or leaving our mares empty until things pick up.
You would do far better to try and get a bargain youngster from one of the established studs, where they will allow you a sit on their stock if you are capable enough, so you know what you're buying in their offspring.
I hesitated before replying in such a pessimistic fashion but you have said you are a newbie, so I hope you take my advice in the spirit it's meant (and no, we haven't got any youngsters for sale, so it is unbiased) "

I think the point that is being made is there appears to be no clear plan. WB or TB no stallion in mind (well I suppose you need to know what the mare is like first). It has got to be the most expensive way to go about it. You have no idea what sex, colour, height or even if you will get a live foal from the venture. I can understand when it is a mare you own, or you have a stallion that you like & have not found an offspring you can afford, or you have a clear plan about what it is you want to breed. I AM NOT having a go at you, but there are just too many very nice foals being born to justify the expense. What happens if you breed something that you dont like, or get on with? Does happen you know, will you be able to sell it on?

I bought my mare to breed from, but I was looking for a TB & had an idea of what I wanted to end up with I also liked her offspring, especially her daughter. As it turned out she also happens to be a very honest mare to ride. I waited a year before putting her back in-foal as I wanted to assess her temperment etc. Something you can't always do in the short space of time when meeting them to purchase/loan. I would not be without this mare now, she is a real sweetheart, but it is such an expensive way to get a foal. When it is not your livelyhood, you should be asking yourself do I really need to breed or should I purchase from someone who has done all the donkey work??