Finding help

Ricedance

Visit site
How do you all go about finding freelance help? I’m very particular in my care for horses and no longer have someone I can call on as I did before.

I’ve battled through all winter alone (the way I like it) but had surgery last week and had help ‘on standby’ for the following morning & evening but the help requires supervision and my direction.

Surgery didn’t go as planned and likely will need more shortly followed by some actual recovery time. I put a post up on local page last year but was just spammed with people offering their own services of which I have zero idea how they care for horses. Do I arrange with one or two of them to come over, I ask them to do everything needed and watch to make sure we are a good fit? I don’t mind paying a rate for this if that’s what’s needed just unsure if freelancers would find that rude/overbearing?

Thank you

Polos Mum

Visit site
It isn't easy and nobody will look after them exactly as you will. You may have to muddle through for a little while and just know the basics are getting done OK.

I would talk to them on the phone about things that are important to you and see how the respond to clear direction.
if they take the hump - leave it at a phone call.
If they sound amenable on the phone then get them over to try,

You are the client and you pay the bill - if you like muck heap done in a certain way or them to come in in a certain order or even that they have to wear purple wellys - if you are paying them (within reason) your rules go.
Other than trial and error I can't see a short cut unfortunately.

If you pay a bit more (£15 per hour rather than the £11-12 that is usual) and aren't silly about them doing 8 horses in 1 hour - then they should be OK with your rules

nutjob

Visit site
I have the same problem as it's very rare I need help. My farrier is usually a good source of info and the freelancer I used when I had a procedure done on my back was recommended by my trainer who also runs a yard.

The lady I used was older and more mature than most in my area and could be relied upon to use her initiative. She came once before my procedure and went though everything and I was at home and mobile when she was here, just not able to lift / bend if there were any issues or questions.

BigRedDog

Visit site
I asked a neighbour who runs a livery yard if one of her liveries might be interested in a couple of hours work two or three times a week. Very successful. Didn’t want to post on local Facebook page for the very reason OP described!

Ricedance

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Out of trusted friends, I don’t have many nearby and the ones I do have close are on full/part livery so they would never need these services (as I don’t normally!)

Very simple jobs with two kind horses, a little bit sometimes of silliness in high winds or if neighbours horses start but nothing that can’t be handled well. No exercise required. Just have some standards that I won’t allow to slip at all which others may think of as a bit OTT but nothing weird! Mainly just a very big thick bed for my oldie, if there’s a hint of pee or it’s too thin, he won’t lie down to sleep, check legs throughly after bringing in, pick feet out well, ensure feeds made up with correct water ratio etc.

I might ask my vet, physio and dentist if they have any ideas as due all 3 shortly before this will get done again and I’ve got about 6-12 weeks to try and find someone perfect for the job. I don’t mind paying a bit more than the going rate if it means finding the right person 🤞🏻

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Our local vet have a few of their vet nurses that do this work freelance. Poor girls (and guy) are paid so poorly they like the additional cash. The vet practice knows they do this work around their vet nurse full time role as well and encourage it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It's trial and error unfortunately. I tried to arrange for someone to come down for a meet and greet , she came highly recommended. But never turned up and left me on read.

Ask in local Facebook groups and give a few people a trial. I've now found someone reliable but as she was throwing out half of my bed , I've asked her not to muck out. Those are the sort of compromises I'm happy to make for someone who will turn up,.follow my instruction and be kind to my horses

94lunagem

Visit site
Mainly just a very big thick bed for my oldie, if there’s a hint of pee or it’s too thin, he won’t lie down to sleep, check legs throughly after bringing in, pick feet out well, ensure feeds made up with correct water ratio etc.
To be fair to you @Ricedance, I was a bit worried what you would be expecting as you say you are particular, but this summary isn’t at all unreasonable. You have a reason why you like your oldies bed done a certain way, and I’d expect the rest to be standard when fetching in and feeding.

Ricedance

Visit site
To be fair to you @Ricedance, I was a bit worried what you would be expecting as you say you are particular, but this summary isn’t at all unreasonable. You have a reason why you like your oldies bed done a certain way, and I’d expect the rest to be standard when fetching in and feeding.
The only other thing is timings for me, fed & turned out by 630, they know the routine and I won’t have them stood in waiting. When I was on DIY I saw such lazy ownership by way of leaving them stood in for hours hungry, lack of poo picking, lack of understanding for basics (what a respiration rate is, how to check a digital pulse, not picking out feet etc) I think this is why I’m so nervous 😬

SEL

Visit site
The only other thing is timings for me, fed & turned out by 630, they know the routine and I won’t have them stood in waiting. When I was on DIY I saw such lazy ownership by way of leaving them stood in for hours hungry, lack of poo picking, lack of understanding for basics (what a respiration rate is, how to check a digital pulse, not picking out feet etc) I think this is why I’m so nervous 😬
You may have to compromise on timing - I purposely got my horses used to being done a bit later pre holidays

Mine was recommended by my physio but she is busy so I know the horses will have to be out of their routine for a couple of weeks. They survive!

meesha

Visit site
I have a marvelous lady who my neighbour used and now couple friends use her. She uses her initiative and if very wet will keep them in etc.

However, she only takes on people who are bit flexible on time, she's at my yard 8am ISH whereas I'm there by 7am bit she has a son and for the sake of good care an extra HR or 2 later than me is fine.

I think you will really struggle with 6.30 ...esp as winter and pitch black.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I have a marvelous lady who my neighbour used and now couple friends use her. She uses her initiative and if very wet will keep them in etc.

However, she only takes on people who are bit flexible on time, she's at my yard 8am ISH whereas I'm there by 7am bit she has a son and for the sake of good care an extra HR or 2 later than me is fine.

I think you will really struggle with 6.30 ...esp as winter and pitch black.

On the other hand it might suit the right freelancer. Lots of people want horse turning out in daylight only in winter (not me!) so freelancers can be very busy early afternoon/ later morning.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I used someone who was recommended by my instructor she was OK I got the impression everything was rushed though, and often came back to a bit of a mess and things put in wrong places.

Then a livery on the yard next door rang me and asked if I had a spare stable for a few months she was still using their field next door, so she kept her horse here for about 5 months in the end and a few times I asked if she could do mine as I did hers if she couldn't get down.

I saw how she looked after hers and her standard was like mine and I was really pleased the way she did mine, so I asked her if she would do it again if I went away and I've used her ever since.

I feel completely happy when I go away now I don't worry as she does such a good job.

Goldenstar

Visit site
No one does things like you would you need to see the big picture when getting a freelancer .
Trying to micromanage every thing won’t work
I usually find people through people I know or I already know them .
Theres masses of things that go into a successful relationship with a freelance.
But the most important thing is to understand why someone works as a freelance because theres always a reason someone takes this route .
You have to be flexible and understand what they value to have a happy working relationship .
Farriers are good people to ask.